B is for Baseball

img_0943Great news! The 2018 Major League Baseball season started this past Thursday. And I’m stoked.

Yes, I know. Some of you might suggest that, when it comes to baseball, B should be for boring. A lot of people seem to find watching baseball to be a yawner. Of course, many of these same people love watching golf. Go figure.

Sure, baseball isn’t as brutal as football. It’s not as fast-paced as basketball. It’s not as violent as hockey.

But it’s not at all boring if you take the time to really understand the game. Instead, baseball is a nuanced game. It’s a game of strategy. It’s a game of finesse.

Baseball is high drama — there’s drama with every at bat, with every pitch, every hit, every steal, every play in the field.

What can be more thrilling than a pitcher’s duel? How about a walk-off, game winning hit in the bottom of the ninth? Is there anything more exciting than an inside the park home run or a runner stealing home?

When should the manager pull the pitcher off the mound? Call for a pinch hitter? Put in a pinch runner? Call for a squeeze play or a steal?

It’s been a long winter and I’m so ready for baseball season to commence. So B is for baseball and B is for boom chuckalucka.

I’ll be back tomorrow for my C-post.

17 thoughts on “B is for Baseball

1. newepicauthor April 2, 2018 / 7:08 am

Steroids killed baseball for me! I didn’t care whether or not the players were using steroids, it was all the lying that took place. Baseball banned steroids in 1991, so anyone who used them after that was breaking the rules. Players kept testing positive for steroid use and denying it. Kids look up to these liars as their heroes and liars are not heroes.

• Fandango April 2, 2018 / 7:41 am

True, there were some bad apples, but that’s mostly in the past and I still enjoy the game.

• newepicauthor April 2, 2018 / 7:51 am

I love the game, but thirteen major league players tested positive for steroid use in 2016, so this is still going on. I actually do not have a problem with steroids, except the fact that they are banned and all of those fake homerun records that were won by juicers.

• J-Dub April 2, 2018 / 8:08 am

I’d much prefer to watch little league, high school or college level. I forgot about the steroid scandals. Such a shame.

2. John Holton April 2, 2018 / 8:05 am

There are things that I don’t like about how the game has evolved: I miss the complete game and Sunday doubleheaders, and think the only time AL teams should play NL teams are Spring Training, the All-Star Game, and the World Series. But baseball is like a gift from Heaven for me.

• Fandango April 2, 2018 / 9:02 am

Yes, complete games are a rarity these days. I don’t have an issue, as you do, with interleague games but I do miss doubleheaders. Still, I love baseball.

3. J-Dub April 2, 2018 / 8:06 am

I enjoy baseball and to me it is the opposite of boring. I think I like it because I understand the rules. And the strategy and finesse you mention. Stealing home of course is my favorite. 😆

4. Suze April 2, 2018 / 10:17 am

for many many years George and I were “fans” of the Alexandria Dukes, the farm team for one of the major league teams…I have forgotten which one. We’d attend each and every game..even those far away from home. It is frankly the only sport I can stand to watch on television anymore.

5. Iain Kelly April 2, 2018 / 12:51 pm

Often thought if I lived in America I would easily become obsessed with baseball. Took in a Mets game when visiting New York a few years ago, really enjoyed it.

6. baddadcartoons101 April 2, 2018 / 1:05 pm

I love to watch baseball but due to its pace I’m not sure if it will survive as we know it with the younger crowd.

7. leigha66 April 3, 2018 / 9:31 pm

Not a big fan of watching baseball on TV, but have been to two games before and found it a lot of fun. But I do always try to watch the World Series.

• Fandango April 3, 2018 / 10:16 pm

I usually watch one game per weekend during the regular season plus a lot of playoff games and, of course, the World Series.