The Initials

36B421D5-4BF1-4251-A100-52EBFB6D5436When I was in college, I started a barbershop quartet. We were known as “The Initials.”

There was me, Jerry, Alan, and Steve. We originally tried to name our group using our four initials, but with three consonants and only one vowel, it was close to impossible. So then one of the guys came up with just calling us “The Initials.”

We were not your typical barbershop quartet. I’d describe us more as an a cappella pop/R&B/folk quartet. Our repertoire consisted mostly of Motown, The Beach Boys, some Kingston Trio, and early Beatles songs.

The Initials did achieve a bit of notoriety singing at fraternity parties and the occasional charity event. We were never paid for our gigs, at least not in real dollars. All the beer we could drink at fraternity parties and a few pastries at the charity events.

After we graduated, the Initials disbanded. Honestly, we weren’t that good and we never made a cent. But Jerry, Alan, Steve, and I sure had a lot of fun.

Written for today’s one-word prompt, “quartet.”

11 thoughts on “The Initials

1. Marilyn Armstrong March 28, 2018 / 10:03 am

Barbershop quartets are a LOT of fun. I know a bunch of people who were in them for a while, pre or post college. I always wanted to join, but my voice is too deep for an alto and maybe a little deep for a tenor, so I just enjoyed listening.

2. Michael March 28, 2018 / 12:36 pm

The ‘having fun’ bit is what stays with you forever. Could you ask more than four guys having fun?

3. rugby843 March 28, 2018 / 1:01 pm

How cool is that?! Wish I could have heard you…any recordings?

• Fandango March 28, 2018 / 6:51 pm

Sadly, no. It happened way before camera phones or portable video/audio recording device.

4. Tricia March 29, 2018 / 9:15 pm

So cool! Start one now and call it Singing Dangos.😁

• Fandango March 29, 2018 / 10:38 pm

We can hit the nursing home circuit!