Posts in the Can

2018 A2Z BadgeI’m a little worried that I’m not blogging correctly. You see, I’ve read a number of posts from other bloggers recently who have talked about all of the posts they have in their draft folder. Or who have said something like, “I’m going to be away from home [or busy with work] for the next few days so I’ve scheduled a bunch of posts to publish in my absence.”

Do you know how many posts are in my draft folder? Zero, nada, zilch. And that makes me worry that I’m an inefficient blogger.

Starting this coming Sunday, I’m going to be participating in this thing called the “A to Z Challenge. ” You write 26 posts for the 26 days that are not Sundays (except for the first Sunday, which is April 1st) during the month of April. Your 26 posts start with the letter A and end with the letter Z. It seems that hundreds of other bloggers will be participating in this challenge, as well.

I mention this because I’ve read some posts of others who will be doing this challenge and quite a few have given a progress report on how many posts for that challenge they’ve already written; posts that are just sitting “in the can” waiting for the applicable day to arrive.

Do you know how many posts I’ve prepared in advance for that A to Z challenge? Zero, nada, zilch.

And many of these other bloggers have chosen themes for the entire month of challenge posts. I have no theme selected because I have no idea what I plan to post about each letter each day.

I like to think that the way I don’t plan ahead makes me a master of spontaneity. But some may say I’m just scatterbrained.

Or maybe I’m just inefficient.

Written for today’s one-word prompt, “inefficient.”

28 thoughts on “Posts in the Can

1. Sue Vincent March 26, 2018 / 9:17 am

Any drafts I have are vague ideas I needed to jot down…and when I come to work on them I have no idea what they refer to. I know many bloggers who schedule weeks, even months in advance! I manage a day… mostly, plus any guest posts and a few reblogs. Unless I am away, then I might manage a weekend, if I’m lucky.
    I’d love to be that organised, but there is something about a spontaneous post too…

2. Suze March 26, 2018 / 9:17 am

no worries. last year I had zero, zilch, nada in my drafts folder and did just fine with it. so shall you.

• Fandango March 26, 2018 / 9:23 am

And this year? How many “ready to go” (or close) posts do you have there right now?

• Suze March 26, 2018 / 2:19 pm

well, I have eight. cause I have to depend on my wierd memory for the letter prompts. I decided to do mine on Latin I remember…and it ain’t much! lol

3. Michael March 26, 2018 / 9:46 am

I have zero drafts. I sit down, write it then schedule it. I have a book for ideas n that’s about it…

4. newepicauthor March 26, 2018 / 9:56 am

I do a lot of thinking while I am in the can, but I never write any posts when I am doing my business.

• Fandango March 26, 2018 / 10:57 am

You know, until your comment I didn’t even think about the potential double entendre about posts in the can. I often start drafting a post while on the can, as a matter of fact.

5. stoner on a rollercoaster March 26, 2018 / 10:09 am

I just have my footer note (the copyright one) in my draft as i have to add it in the end of every post.
    Otherwise nothing.
    I save ideas in memos of my phone.

6. Cyranny March 26, 2018 / 10:35 am

I have a lot of draft posts, but they were just posts I started up and didn’t finish, or posts that I had problems editing and had to duplicate to publish, and forgot to erase the previous copy. I am trying to schedule my “Nombril de semaine” posts, but as of today, that hasn’t been a great success… Like you, I am a spontaneous blogger. Everything you read is all fresh from my brain, except for the posts I pick from my past years… These occasionally get dusted off and reposted to give them another chance (I previously posted them back when I didn’t have many readers…)

7. pensitivity101 March 26, 2018 / 10:56 am

I have no drafts ready to go, usually tending to ‘work on the day’. I scheduled two for this morning because we were out and about, and now I’m just about to catch up with today’s posts and challenges from those I follow. That’s when I get the windbag syndrome and post a lot of entries (sorry).
    Do your own thing. If you draft a few, fine. I’ve done the same as Sue and jotted down some key words for ideas for later but sometimes they just don’t fit and I may discard them altogether.

8. Richmond Road March 26, 2018 / 1:45 pm

It’s a big day indeed when I even have anything in my head let alone ‘in the can’.

9. Richmond Road March 26, 2018 / 1:47 pm

Whoops …. don’t know what that O is doing there. Possibly it is picture of my mind that I drew subconsciously

• Fandango March 26, 2018 / 2:35 pm

Oh. I thought you were talking about the book, “The Story of O.” 😱

10. cagedunn March 26, 2018 / 1:57 pm

I fly in, type the post, publish it, fly out. No planning at all. I plan my books, not the posts – they’re all just me at that moment. You’re not alone in the maniacal mad dash to get it done.
    Don’t get me wrong, I love to plan, but it takes a lot of effort and time and other stuff (like research – which comes from Jim now (mostly)) so I save all that effort for the novels and the posts are my moment of madness.

11. isaiah46ministries March 26, 2018 / 6:45 pm

I am like you. I don’t think its inefficiency, so much as it’s easier for me to think of a post, according to how I feel that day. That’s my excuse, anyway.

12. Sight11 March 27, 2018 / 7:01 pm

Guess what my activity bar is showing for the last 2 days.. Zero.. Nada..

13. leigha66 March 28, 2018 / 5:28 pm

I too have nothing waiting in the wings… I just post as I go. Good luck with the challenge!

14. ghostmmnc April 4, 2018 / 12:39 pm

Sorry I’m just getting over here for a visit. Most all of my posts are done right before I hit publish. I think I scheduled one or two over the years. For drafts, I get an idea, I’ll type in a word or two, so I can remember it, but then I forget to go back to it. There might be 5 in there? I think you are in good company in the way you’ve talked about doing it. 🙂