Song Lyric Sunday — Doctor My Eyes

This week’s Song Lyric Sunday prompt from Helen Vahdati is “seeing.” There are quite a few songs about eyes seeing something or someone, but the one I chose is “Doctor My Eyes” by Jackson Browne.

Written and performed by Jackson Browne and included on his debut album, Jackson Browne, “Doctor My Eyes” was released in 1972 as Browne’s first single and became a surprise hit, reaching number 8 on the Billboard Hot 100 in spring of that year.

The song is the tale of a man who, having lost his idealism, stoically endures life’s hardships, but having done so, worries that he has also lost his ability feel anything. The lyrics were thought to be somewhat depressing, but Browne’s singing, supported by harmonies from Graham Nash and David Crosby, gave the lyrics an emotional edge.

Here are the song’s lyrics.

Doctor, my eyes have seen the years
And the slow parade of fears without crying
Now I want to understand

I have done all that I could
To see the evil and the good without hiding
You must help me if you can

Doctor, my eyes
Tell me what is wrong
Was I unwise to leave them open for so long

‘Cause I have wandered through this world
And as each moment has unfurled
I’ve been waiting to awaken from these dreams

People go just where they will
I never noticed them until I got this feeling
That it’s later than it seems

Doctor, my eyes
Tell me what you see
I hear their cries
Just say if it’s too late for me

Doctor, my eyes
Cannot see the sky
Is this the prize for having learned how not to cry

15 thoughts on “Song Lyric Sunday — Doctor My Eyes

1. pensitivity101 March 25, 2018 / 6:40 am

I remember this by the Jackson Five, their version being a bit more uptempo and typical Motown. I like this one though.

• Fandango March 25, 2018 / 7:50 am

Yes, I read that the song was a bigger hit for the Jackson 5 in the UK than it was for Jackson Browne in the US.

2. J-Dub March 25, 2018 / 8:19 am

Yes, flashback! I remember this song. Great choice.

3. ghostmmnc March 25, 2018 / 4:11 pm

Great song! I haven’t heard it in a long while, so thanks for posting it! 🙂

4. Felicia Denise March 25, 2018 / 6:33 pm

Love this song and thought about it after-the-fact! Such a classic and brings back memories of the good old days. Thanks for sharing! 😉

5. leigha66 March 26, 2018 / 7:29 pm

Great song choice! Makes me want to dig out my old Jackson Browne cassette.

6. Helen Vahdati March 31, 2018 / 11:04 am

It is hard to “see” everything that is happening and has happened in this world. This is a brilliant song, both lyrically and musically. Thank you so much for sharing!