Saving Face

03D47A1B-6CDC-45EA-BF32-7F86D65460C9I dream every night. I often have multiple dreams each night. Unfortunately, I can only rarely remember the details of my dreams once the fog of sleep has cleared my head.

I do know that my dreams often include family members (my wife, my kids), friends, former work associates (I’m retired now), and even my pets (both current and now long gone).

But very often the protagonists (or antagonists) in my dreams are faceless. Well, they weren’t faceless in my dreams. They had faces and, in many cases, they were faces that I knew or at least recognized while in the midst of the dream.

But after I wake up and try to recall bits and pieces of my dream, it seems that I can’t recall the faces of many of the people who inhabited it. It’s as if they were faceless.

Curious, I Googled “faceless dreams.” Most sites had psychobabble about when you appear faceless in your own dreams or when others in your dreams appear faceless.

One site stated, “To dream of a faceless person represents an aspect of your personality that is undefined or undecided. Beliefs or wishes that keep changing, going in new directions, or never stay the same. You are having trouble knowing what you want or making a final decisions. Alternatively, a faceless person may reflect your feelings about an unknown future situation. Not knowing what to expect.”

But again, in my dreams every character has a face in the dream. So none of that psychobabble crap applies. It’s just that once I am awake, when I try to recall the faces of those who have been in my dreams, even in key roles, I often can’t. They are, in essence, faceless.

I wonder why that is. Does this happen to you, as well? Or can you remember every face you encounter when you dream?

Written for today’s one-word prompt, “faceless.”

15 thoughts on “Saving Face

1. newepicauthor March 24, 2018 / 9:27 am

I only remember bits and pieces of my dreams and I guess that is because I usually have multiple dreams.

• Fandango March 24, 2018 / 9:37 am

What about faces of those in your dreams that you do remember?

• newepicauthor March 24, 2018 / 9:43 am

If my dreams include people that I know, then of course they have faces, but if my dreams are about strangers I can’t say for sure either way.

2. Marilyn Armstrong March 24, 2018 / 10:26 am

I keep a pad of paper and a pen near the bed and before I fully wake up and the day whisks my dreams away, I try to write down a few words that might at least remind me of what the dream was. Sometimes, what I write is nonsense, but sometimes, it really DOES bring it back. You might try it. It isn’t a guarantee, but it’s better than nothing.

• Fandango March 24, 2018 / 12:08 pm

Damn. I had that exact same dream. It lasted through a whole season…from the fall through the spring.

• Fandango March 24, 2018 / 12:36 pm

Much less that the biggest question Americans were asking on 1980 was “Who shot JR?”

• baddadcartoons101 March 24, 2018 / 6:47 pm

I remember feeling cheated when we found out it was all a dream of Bobby’s, oh sorry did I give out a 30+ year spoiler, someone might have it recorded on their VCR and hadn’t yet figured out how to play it back.

• Fandango March 24, 2018 / 10:44 pm

Yeah. I feel like I wasted a year watching that bogus show. Sort of ruined it for me after that.

3. leigha66 March 26, 2018 / 11:37 am

I have terrible sleep patterns and often don’t dream or at least don’t remember. Most of my dreams I can see who people are except for those in the background.