Honor Code

8C500266-EEB4-46B5-9B31-4BF29D21C18CChris had no idea why he’d been summoned to the Dean of Students’ office. With some trepidation, Chris knocked at the dean’s door. “Enter,” he heard the dean say.

As Chris walked in, the dean removed his reading glasses, set them down on his desk, and looked at the nervous student. “Please have a seat, Mr. Atwater,” the dean said. Chris did as he was told.

The dean looked at Chris for a long moment. “Mr. Atwater,” he finally said. “You’re aware of this university’s honor code, are you not?” Chris nodded his head in acknowledgment. “And you, therefore, must know about the strict policy regarding plagiarism.” Once again Chris nodded his head.

The dean handed Chris his philosophy course term paper. Chris’ forehead started to bead up with perspiration. The dean then handed Chris another document. The title page had been removed, but the evidence of plagiarism was clear. Chris felt like he was about to pass out.

“Mr. Atwater, your term paper is identical — word for word identical — to this paper prepared by another student who took this same course taught by the same professor three years ago. How do you explain this, Mr. Atwater?”

Chris realized he was caught. “Sir, I admit that I hired a paper-writing service to write this paper for me. I know I shouldn’t have done it, but I have had some personal problems this semester and didn’t have time to get my paper written and submitted,” he confessed. “And the service offers guarantees against plagiarism.”

“Mr. Atwater,” the dean said quietly, “I suggest you seek a refund from the service. Or perhaps you can get them to give you a credit for the admissions paper you’ll need to submit to the next university you plan to attend, since your time at our august institution is over.”

Written for today’s one-word prompt, “identical.”

14 thoughts on “Honor Code

1. Suze March 20, 2018 / 12:35 pm

when I was in school, we didn’t have such things as a paper writing service…we had kids that would type our papers but the work was ours. My neighbor’s kid was just sent home in disgrace from his college…fourth year, close to graduation and his final paper for his most important subject (his major) was plagiarized. 4 years down the tubes…..you’d think a “police sciences” major would know better.

• Fandango March 20, 2018 / 2:10 pm

I can’t beliece that, so close to graduating, he’d do something like that. Really stupid!

• Suze March 20, 2018 / 4:31 pm

his reasoning? He didn’t have “time to write it, as his fraternity was hosting a graduation party that weekend” and he was “in charge of drinks”.

• Fandango March 20, 2018 / 5:03 pm

Sheesh. At least the guy in my story gave the excuse of “personal problems.”

• theceaselessreaderwrites March 20, 2018 / 1:44 pm

No, I never had that authority. I was just an adjunct professor teaching Freshman Comp, so my job was to make sure students new what plagiarism was, scare them into not doing it again after I caught them, and teach them how to avoid doing it in the future.

2. newepicauthor March 20, 2018 / 2:13 pm

Chris needs to find another esteemed or regal institution, or perhaps he could try his hand at something else.

3. baddadcartoons101 March 20, 2018 / 11:00 pm

Ok I admit it! Some of my jokes are not original! Actually most jokes and puns have been done by someone before us at some time in the world. Ok, I’ve never knowingly plagiarized a joke but I often see similar jokes when I read other jokes and wish I had had the idea. I guess blog posts work the same way! Ideas may not be totally original but we take the time to present them in our own original way!

• Fandango March 20, 2018 / 11:34 pm

Hmm. You sound a bit defensive. Maybe you really are a badass…I mean a bad dad. (If anyone else has called you a badass, I didn’t plagiarize their work. It came straight from the heart.) 😜

4. Marilyn Armstrong March 21, 2018 / 4:43 pm

I used to make a few bucks writing papers for people or selling them my papers, but I never sold a paper for the same course for which I wrote it.