I Don’t Do Twitter

img_0928I don’t do Twitter. The closest to writing a tweet is once a week when Kat Myrman posts her Twittering Tales prompt. She shows us a picture and asks us to post about that picture using 280 or fewer characters. Not words, characters.

And you know what? It’s damn hard to articulately express intelligent, meaningful, and coherent thoughts in just 280 characters, including spaces and punctuation. It takes a lot of patience.

And speaking about patience, please be patient with me if you are a Twitter fan. I don’t have a Twitter account. So you may want to take my observations about Twitter and its users with a grain of salt. My opinions are based upon what I’ve read and heard about what others have tweeted, and the most likely reason I’ve read or heard about such tweets is because they’re so outrageous.

And that brings me to my impression that people tend to post the dumbest, most incoherent, and nastiest comments on Twitter. No offense to those of you who love Twitter. No doubt you are the exceptions and your tweets are intelligent, coherent, and articulate.

Still, how many times have you read or heard about a tweet from Donald Trump (the tweeter-in-chief) that causes you to do a facepalm? Or to just shake your head in disbelief?

And it’s not just Trump. So many people — from members of his administration to other politicians to movie stars and TV personalities — have tweeted such stupid, thoughtless, nasty, and/or incoherent tweets that they end up having to apologize, delete their stupid tweets, or walk them back. It’s a medium tailor made for people to post stupid things.

Because, it seems to me, many Twitter users tweet first and think later. For some reason, they feel that time is of the essence and it’s more important to get it out fast than to take their time to write something intelligent, articulate, and thoughtful. If that’s even possible in 280 characters.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not suggesting that all Twitter users are stupid, mean-spirited, and thoughtless. But Twitter does seem to attract many who are.

Maybe I’m wrong. If you are someone who uses Twitter, maybe you can help me understand why Twitter even exists. What need does it serve?

Anyway, this is why I don’t do Twitter.

Written for today’s one-word prompt, “patience.”

11 thoughts on “I Don’t Do Twitter

1. Kat Myrman March 18, 2018 / 7:45 am

Brilliant! And like you, I only tweet to tell a tale, which as you point out requires a good bit of forethought and precision. Something that does indeed seem to be lost on the everyday twitterer. All this to say that I heartily agree…And in less than 280 characters to boot! 😊

• Fandango March 18, 2018 / 8:46 am

What a thoughtful, articulate, coherent tweet! And in fewer than 50 characters.

2. Bobby Fairfield March 18, 2018 / 9:15 am

Sorry to disagree but brevity is the key, that’s why it’s Twitter for me where I can choose whom I want to read.

• Fandango March 18, 2018 / 9:46 am

I agree that brevity is important. And I admit that brevity is not my strong suit. But it seems to me that on Twitter, the cost of brevity is coherency and thoughtfulness.

3. rugby843 March 18, 2018 / 9:31 am

There are some good things written to inform, you just have to weed them out. I have an acct. I don’t have time to look at it! I cannot believe that our esteemed : )) leader uses it.

4. baddadcartoons101 March 18, 2018 / 10:56 am

Here at baddadcartoons101.wordpress.com (shameless plug) only the birds tweet but this seems to be their choice of social media.

5. Sight11 March 18, 2018 / 11:49 am

I hate social media outlets. But there is one person that I want to talk to and sadly he is available only on Twitter.. Still hate it..

6. hopeforheather March 18, 2018 / 1:40 pm

I really only started on Twitter after creating my blog. My original purpose was to try to connect with others who have Rare Disease. THEN, I found Days of our Lives Twitter. AND THEN I found the Anaheim Ducks Twitter. AND THEN THEN I found Real Housewives of Beverly Hills twitter….and the rest is history. 🙂