I Need An Explanation

1BE07DB3-BB1D-4D73-A22B-2442D49A3E22

Try as I may, I just can’t grasp it. I like to think of myself as an empathetic person, yet it still eludes me.

But then again, I am a city dweller and tend toward the liberal when it come to most things social and political. That said, on fiscal matters, I’m more conservative.

Still, I just don’t get it. Especially when it comes to females, Latinos, blacks, Asians, and anyone with a even half a brain.

I’m a white male, and I somewhat understand the what many white males, particularly those without college degrees, with blue collar jobs, and who live in more rural areas, might feel.

But given the misogyny, how can so many white women stand behind the guy? Given his racism, how can any African Americans, male or female, still be in his camp?

Given his xenophobia, how can any Latino, Asian, or anyone who is a recent descendant of an immigrant, think he’s their guy?

But his support by one group of people is something I grasp least of all. Evangelicals are supposed to be committed to the Christian gospel message that Jesus Christ is the savior of humanity. They believe in the authority of the Bible as God’s revelation to humanity, and in spreading the Christian message.

So can someone please explain to me, then, why eight out of ten Evangelicals support Donald Trump? He is probably the most irreligious president this country has ever had. He’s a philanderer who openly admitted to moving on another man’s wife “like a bitch.” He’s been unfaithful to every one of his three wives. He’s probably never read the Bible (or the Constitution), and he has never even wondered “what would Jesus do?”

I just can’t grasp how forty percent of Americans buy this man’s bullshit.

Written for today’s one-word prompt, “grasp.”

21 thoughts on “I Need An Explanation

1. baddadcartoons101 March 13, 2018 / 8:34 am

One reason I identified during the election why evangelicals still supported the man was the fear that a democratic president would be more likely to nominate liberal judges. The abortion issue is still central in their priorities and they would look the other way concerning Trumps morals if it meant having more conservative judges. I obviously don’t agree with these people but there is a lot of them.

2. Sight11 March 13, 2018 / 9:21 am

It tells you something about the ‘Land of the great’, and it isn’t pleasant now, is it Sensei?….

3. Suze March 13, 2018 / 9:57 am

I will never understand what makes men think they actually have a say over a woman’s body and pregnancy when that woman has zero connection to them. Seriously. Why don’t we just make vasectomies mandatory for all white men over the age of…whatever. And to make an even bigger statement, let’s just make those mandatory vasectomies ONLY for Christian evangelicals…..we can use the excuse it is against OUR religion for them to procreate, and see how they like it. So far as adoring the cheeto? These guys are so far away from ANYTHING “Christian” that Trump looks like the second coming…he says everything that is on THEIR minds but are too afraid to speak. I sometimes wish it was legal and ethical to round all of them up, stick em all on that lovely bombed atoll out in the far pacific and just blow them up…but that would be “wrong”.

• Fandango March 13, 2018 / 11:30 am

I think it goes back to the Bible, with essentially teaches that women are subservient to men.

4. newepicauthor March 13, 2018 / 2:12 pm

I keep hoping that Trump will continue to fail to rack up any major legislative achievements and that he will eventually lose all of his supporters. People like the fact that he has a business background, but he only uses this to screw everyone and help his cronies.

5. theceaselessreaderwrites March 13, 2018 / 2:59 pm

The answer is quite simply, really, Fandango: They are die-hard, dyed-in-the-wool Republicans who will support Republican candidates no matter what.

There’s a good story on The Atlantic’s Web site this month about the rapidly-developing split in the Evangelical community and the growing group of liberal Evangelicals (yes, there is such a thing) ready to disavow their conservative brethren & sistren. This movement is way past due if you ask me!

6. Angel March 13, 2018 / 6:46 pm

Here’s my quick version of what I think happened: George W screwed the pooch, and his epic weapons-of-mass-destruction fail threw voters further to the left and into the very charming and articulate arms of Mr. Barack Obama. President Obama, however, and IMO, was a bit more to the left than was comfortable, and I don’t think seemed to be listening to the very real concerns of conservatives, so they freaked out and by the time the 2016 election was upon us, we were literally caught between voting what seemed like extreme left or voting what seemed like extreme right. Sometimes when people feel backed into a corner, they choose differently than they normally would; and I think a lot of conservatives, even if they had liberal leanings, felt cornered and not listened to and ignored, so they voted way off the chart. The good news is, I have been frustrated for years at the glass house we’ve been living in, so even though this is awful, I am thrilled that the dirt is out because now it can be dealt with. We have always had racism; we have always had sexism; we have always had conservatives spewing venom and liberals spewing absurdities. It’s out now! Let’s address it and find real middle ground so we can all continue merrily along. PS Fandango: You will hear more from me on This, That, and The Other in my blog as well–I just don’t know when! I enjoyed your post.

• Fandango March 13, 2018 / 9:29 pm

Thank you, Angel, for your thoughtful and articulate comment. I actually agree with a lot of what you said, although I don’t think Obama was as far to the left as you characterized him to have been. And I also think that the Republicans, due to their antipathy towards Obama, moved way far to the right and their mission was to obstruct Obama at every turn, including blocking Senate hearings on a vacancy on the Supreme Court that was rightfully his to fill. And yes, we have always had racism, sexism, and xenophobia, but Trump has legitimized those “isms” and enabled them to come out of the shadows, creative a climate of blame, finger-pointing, and hatred. And the GOP legislators are allowing it to happen unabated.

Anyway, I enjoyed your narrative and I’m looking forward to reading more of your thoughts.

7. Angel March 14, 2018 / 9:47 am

You’re welcome, Fandango! I need to clarify what I wrote because upon rereading it, I realize that my IMO placement makes it sound like I personally think Obama veered to far to the left. What I should have written was that IMO, the perception by those on the other side might have been… Regardless, you are correct that Republicans went along blocking him at every turn, but what bothers me more than their antics is that our system somehow allowed that to happen. How could our land “of the people” allow that kind of childish, and certainly dangerous, behavior? Doesn’t it feel like we don’t actually have control over our government, yet we are supposed to? So that they don’t go around doing stupid things and creating a terrible country? As a repercussion, what ended up happening in that Administration, and I know, with previous President’s, is that he (and they) can then issue executive orders on whatever they want (at least that’s how I understand it), and that is totally wrong to me because that then is a dictatorship, no? I understand that we want that option for emergency situations, but for our leadership to be able to whimsically declare whatever is important to them is also dangerous. So IMO (correctly placed), everyone up there is a mess and that is how Cheeto (as another poster referred to Trump) ended up with a fighting chance.

8. leigha66 March 16, 2018 / 11:38 pm

A woman I know, who supported him at the time of the election, always said it was because he was not a politician why she liked him. She felt it was time for a change and he, in her eyes, was going to bring that change. I still am shocked she supported him though.

• Fandango March 17, 2018 / 6:00 am

How does she feel about him now? Does she still support him? Will she vote for him again in 2020?