SoCS — So Far, So Good

7208460D-D05A-45AA-9D03-8342E099803E.jpegWhen I first read Linda G. Hill’s Stream of Consciousness Saturday prompt, “so far,” I was simply going to post two music videos, both with songs titled “So Far Away.” One by Carole King and the other by Dire Straits.

But then I thought that posting two music videos is not exactly a stream of consciousness post, is it? Besides, the prompt is “so far,” not “so far away.”

So getting back on point, I’m a senior citizen who has many more years behind me than I have ahead of me. Some might say I’m in my twilight years, but there are times when it feels more like I’m in the Twilight Zone.

But I digress. Sometimes I think about how my life has been going so far. I’m retired now and I have somehow managed to squirrel away enough to not have to worry that much about outliving my retirement nest egg. Well, as long as I don’t live as long as Methuselah, that is.

My wife and I have no debt. Our house is all paid off, so there are no mortgage payments. No car payments either, and I’m not in the market for a new car. I think I can say with a fair degree of confidence that my wife and I still love one another. Or at least that we’re willing to put up with each other. So far, anyway.

And both of us are healthy. No major maladies or worrisome health issues so far. So that’s good.

We have two grown kids who are great and are doing well for themselves. So far we don’t have any grandkids, but we’re hoping that before too long we’ll have a few.

All things considered, life has been good so far. Sure, there have been ups and downs and bumps in the road. But who hasn’t experienced such things?

Bottom line, then, I’d say so far, so good.

And just for fun, here are those two aforementioned music videos.

10 thoughts on “SoCS — So Far, So Good

1. Richmond Road March 10, 2018 / 3:22 am

Oh. That is quite touching. And makes my ill-thought response to the same prompt a bit trite.

• Fandango March 10, 2018 / 7:34 am

Thanks. I just read your post, which is not trite at all. Quite witty, actually.

2. Sight11 March 10, 2018 / 5:03 am

And you have friends both virtual and in real life. You have pets, not to mention you still write brilliantly Sensei..

• Fandango March 10, 2018 / 7:36 am

Aw, thanks, Sight. “Brilliantly,” huh? You’re making me blush.

3. Kijo March 10, 2018 / 5:56 am

Congratulations on living! (sincerely)

• Fandango March 10, 2018 / 7:39 am

Sometimes, given how I’ve lived my life, I think that’s quite an accomplishment.

4. John Holton March 10, 2018 / 11:26 am

She said you could use it anyway you liked… but I liked this, especially the tunes at the end.

• Fandango March 10, 2018 / 11:40 am

Thanks. I appreciate that. They are both great songs.