Time To Write — The Call

44D44ECD-35FE-41AC-B63B-88151A223194“Don’t be so hyper,” Linda said. “He told you he’d call you tonight, didn’t he? It’s only seven-thirty, for crissake. You’re going to drive yourself crazy.”

Craig looked at Linda sitting across from him at the kitchen table. Her expression held a combination of frustration and anger. “Do we have any coffee left?” he asked his wife. “I need another cup of coffee.”

“No you don’t,” Linda said. “You’ve already had enough caffeine today and if you have another cup now, you’ll never be able to fall asleep tonight.”

“Dammit, Linda, I need to get this job,” Craig said. “My severance pay runs out this week and we can’t afford for me to be out of work and not getting a paycheck. Why isn’t he calling?”

“Whatever happens, things will work out,” Linda said, trying to reassure her anxious husband. “Worst case, I can go back to work. I left my old job on good terms. I’m sure they’d take me back.”

“And what?” Craig asked. “I stay home with the baby and play Mister Mom?”

Their discussion was interrupted by the ringing of the phone. The two of them exchanged glances. “Are you going to answer it?” Linda asked Craig.

He shook his head and said, “No, you get it. I’m too nervous.”

Linda picked up the telephone and said, “Hello?” She listened for a few seconds and said, “Yes, hold on, I’ll get him,” and handed the phone to Craig. “It’s him,” she whispered.

Written for Rachel Poli’s Time To Write prompt for this week.

12 thoughts on “Time To Write — The Call

1. newepicauthor March 10, 2018 / 5:48 am

Should “How expression” be “Her expression”? It seems like Linda wears the pants in this family.

• Fandango March 10, 2018 / 7:38 am

Indeed it should. I can’t tell you how many times I proofread that post. Sheesh! Yes, Linda is the strong one, for sure.

• newepicauthor March 10, 2018 / 10:35 am

I don’t skim read your posts because I enjoy them so much. I know that you write everything on your phone and I understand how difficult that would be, as it keeps you from seeing the whole picture.

• Fandango March 10, 2018 / 11:43 am

Still, I do proofread each draft post multiple times before posting, so it’s on me when they get through with typos and errors.

• Sight11 March 11, 2018 / 7:48 am

Give yourself a break Sensei. Good post. Again my reader vanished it completely…

• Fandango March 11, 2018 / 8:49 am

Weird that it doesn’t show up in your reader.

2. Rachel March 13, 2018 / 7:36 am

Great take on the prompt! I hope he got that job. 😉 Thanks for sharing.