I’m Entitled to My Opinion

92D91B33-8B8D-4DE7-800D-3AC4D8ADF5E1I was having a discussion about our infamous president the other day with an acquaintance of mine. He was telling me that “it’s a fact” that Donald Trump had accomplished more in his first year as president than any president before him. I countered his “fact” with actual facts, to which he replied, “Well, I’m entitled to my opinion.”

We seem, these days, to live in a culture where everyone thinks that the phrase “I’m entitled to my opinion” implies that all opinions are equal and that ignorance is just as good as knowledge.

It’s often something people will say as a last ditch effort to justify their point of view by defending their right to hold an opinion no matter how ill-founded, uninformed, and yes, even stupid, it might be. In their minds, they create a false equivalency between fact and opinion.

A fact is something that has actually happened or that is empirically true and can be supported by evidence. An opinion is a belief. It is normally subjective, meaning that it can vary based on a person’s perspective, emotions, or individual understanding of something.

Facts can change over time. What is a fact today may, through more study and new evidence, be updated or revised. Knowledge is growing at an impressively rapid pace, and because knowledge is not finite, scientific facts can be refined as more knowledge is acquired.

As your knowledge or understanding grows through learning, your opinions on that subject may change, may evolve, as well. That’s as it should be.

So yes, while you are entitled to your opinion, you must never, without foundation, equate an opinion with a fact or assume that an opinion is truth.

Well, that’s my opinion, anyway.

And don’t get me started on “alternative facts.”

Written for today’s one-word prompt, “fact.”

22 thoughts on “I’m Entitled to My Opinion

1. Sandi March 7, 2018 / 7:54 am

This was well written!

“ignorance is just as good as knowledge.” – ain’t it? (hahaha)

Mr. Fandango…how the HECK are ya! I’ve missed my blogging buddies. I don’t know how long I’ll be around and what kind of time I can spend commenting these days. But I’m making an effort this morning to swing by.

As you know, I’m in the process of switching blogs. I’m moving some material over and other stuff is being deleted. But not deleting my blogger pals!

• Fandango March 7, 2018 / 8:02 am

Hi Sandi. Yes, I saw that you abandoned your flip-flops blog and have shifted gears a little (or a lot?) with your new blog. I also saw that you’ve been busy today posting a bunch of One-Liner Wednesday posts.

I’m looking forward to reading more from the “new” Sandi, although I will confess that I’m not all that into “God blogs” or “Bible blogs.” But in your case, I’ll make an exception, since I so enjoy your posts.

• Sandi March 7, 2018 / 8:04 am

Well, my “GOD” blogs differ from others. Like my post Mutant Mush. I’m sure those other serious christians won’t appreciate my views, but hey, I’m entitled to My opinion, right?

• Sandi March 7, 2018 / 8:07 am

P.S. “Abandoned” seems like such a harsh word. Like a boarded up house with junkies living inside. I don’t want Flip Flops to have bad feelings. Let’s just say there was a merger/acquisition and company name was changed.

• Fandango March 7, 2018 / 8:37 am

So “defunct” is better than “abandoned,” huh?

2. Michael March 7, 2018 / 9:32 am

Some people are just idiots i find. Likely an opinion though i expect i could back it up with facts if i was not so lazy …

• Fandango March 7, 2018 / 12:07 pm

I think it’s a fact that SOME people are just idiots. It’s an opinion that MOST people are just idiots.

3. baddadcartoons101 March 7, 2018 / 9:46 am

Nice thought provoking post! Opinions are like statistics. I was once told a good statistician can manipulate the stats to support whichever outcome they preferred.

4. Sight11 March 7, 2018 / 10:45 am

I think he was partially correct only if downgrading the portfolio is considered as an accomplishment.

5. cagedunn March 7, 2018 / 12:10 pm

My opinions may be based on facts and evidence and backed up by others who find the same results, but my opinions can be pie in the sky as well, nothing more than a big pile of [stuff] because sometimes I want to have a discussion about [stuff]. However, when people spout ‘fact’ at me and then back off as soon as its questioned, I know they don’t even understand what a ‘fact’ is: an element proven by evidence and peer support; something that is repeatable for the same results (or close).
    I am happy to listen to people who move beyond facts to break new ground, seek new horizons in science and research (and anything else) but if all they want to say is ‘look at how much I know’ or ‘my opinion is valid even if I didn’t think it through’ – they can get knotted and entangled and dangle on the end of the line for the big-con-man-in-the-house to sell them his fake-news.
    and that’s my rant.

• Fandango March 7, 2018 / 12:20 pm

And, as Marshall McLuhan said, “Many a good argument has been ruined by some fool who knows what he is talking about.”

6. Marilyn Armstrong March 7, 2018 / 1:48 pm

For many people, “I’m entitled to my opinion” is NOT a last ditch effort to support their stupidity. It’s their first concept, their entire reason for being. To me, that’s is the most frightening cultural alteration since my youth.

7. Po' Girl Shines March 7, 2018 / 2:47 pm

If one’s opinions are not based on fact then there might be a problem. There is a good reason we are all supposed to stick to the facts, not make things up or believe everything we hear, no matter how cute the speaker is or how much we wish to believe a lie simply because we don’t like the person being defamed. I never thought about how odd it sounds to say you are “entitled” to think wrong thoughts about others.

8. newepicauthor March 8, 2018 / 3:14 am

Sarah Huckabee Sanders seems to be loaded with opinions and missing all the facts.