Smartphone Addiction

B5E1D281-9B9B-478F-86F8-A17E6C2E3A8BSo I read in the paper the other day that the average smartphone user typically touches his or her smartphone 2,617 times per day.

What? More than 2600 times a day? Assuming that the average person is awake 18 hours a day, that come to around 145 touches per waking hour. Or two-and-a-half touches a minute! Is that even possible? That’s crazy.

Well, maybe not. According to Pew Research, one-third of American smartphone owners describe their phones as “something they can’t imagine living without.” And I am one of them. I freely admit that I am addicted to my iPhone.

My cellphone additction started around 1997, when I got my first BlackBerry, the RIM 857.
2C18A088-02D8-4D26-8D6C-F74E0126E37FIt was a miracle device. I could make phone calls, compose, send, and receive emails. It had an address book, a calculator, an alarm clock. I didn’t go anywhere without my beloved BlackBerry.

It didn’t take long for BlackBerry devices to earn the nickname “Crackberry” because users — predominantly business people — became addicted to them. And that was before web browsers and cameras became standard issue on smartphones.

But everything changed in 2007 when Apple introduced the iPhone. Suddenly using a smartphone to take snapshots and to browse the web became “the thing.”

DB7AFBB5-08CC-4E92-8880-2995320E8E21Fast forward a decade. Our smartphones have become an extension of ourselves. There are apps for just about any task imaginable. And many people don’t even talk on their smartphones anymore. They text, email, and post updates on Facebook or Snapchat, and photos on Instagram.

Smartphones accompany us in some of the most significant and intimate experiences of our lives. We take them with us when we go to the bathroom. We keep them near us while we sleep. They join us at meals, while watching TV or reading, in church, in our cars. Dare I say that they’re not far out of reach even when we’re having sex? We are rarely without them.

I have a laptop and an iPhone. Sometimes days go by when I don’t turn on my laptop, but my iPhone is never not by my side. It’s the last thing I look at before I go to sleep at night and the first thing I look at when I wake up in the morning.

I do all of my web serving on my iPhone. And all of blogging activity as well. That includes composing and posting, reading others bloggers’ posts, and commenting. I no longer have a digital camera. Rather, all of my photos are taken with my iPhone. In fact, when it gets right down to it, I could easily live without my laptop, but not without my iPhone.

So when it comes to the average number of smartphone touches at 2,617 times per day, I’m probably way above average.

What about you?

19 thoughts on “Smartphone Addiction

1. Sight11 March 3, 2018 / 4:30 pm

If you’re reading this, I too am touching my phone. LMFAO!

• cagedunn March 3, 2018 / 4:46 pm

Nearly … and I’d like one, but to pay the $ per month for connection … no thanks. The only thing of interest to me really is the camera, and if you don’t keep the phone updated by being online, the camera fails. Yep. tested it.

• Fandango March 3, 2018 / 6:09 pm

I don’t have a landline, so that helps offset some of the costs of my cellphone.

• cagedunn March 3, 2018 / 6:13 pm

That might be the next step I think, when we get reliable and secure and cheap wireless … whoops, faded.

2. Marilyn Armstrong March 3, 2018 / 5:19 pm

I take mine out of my bag and turn it on every other week or three so it can update and stuff my phone full of more crap i will never use.

3. BAEast March 4, 2018 / 3:52 am

i don’t have a smart phone. i’m waiting for whatever comes next.

4. newepicauthor March 4, 2018 / 10:18 am

I think that I have turned on my smartphone on three times this year and the last time I turned it on was to look up my smartphone number. I was getting my hair cut at my regular place and they keep data on my preferences which are found under my number.

5. Em March 5, 2018 / 10:10 am

I long ago notices that social media brings me down, A LOT! So now I only use my phone when I need it and if I go for a walk, I leave my phone at home. I still relapse and get sucked into the black hole of social media sometimes tho…

6. leigha66 March 5, 2018 / 10:11 pm

I still actually talk on my smart phone and do a fair amount of texting, but other than a couple of games if I am stuck waiting at an appointment I don’t have to have it out. Now my laptop is practically attached to me.

• Fandango March 5, 2018 / 11:03 pm

Ive pretty much given up my laptop for my smartphone. In fact, I’m in bed right now posting this comment on my iPhone!

7. Mr. Sarc March 6, 2018 / 12:52 pm

This might sound funny, but what if you can’t hold the phone in your hands because it’s too big?

*zte axon m*

• Fandango March 6, 2018 / 2:57 pm

Who do you think I am, Donald Trump?

8. Mr. Sarc March 6, 2018 / 2:59 pm

I know you’re not Donald Trump!
    This isn’t Twitter