The Interview

93FA903D-CB9E-49A7-A476-26DF7077656CAlan thought for a moment before answering the interviewer’s question. “My greatest strength? It’s my willingness to go above and beyond. To take those extra steps. To walk that extra mile.”

“Can you elaborate?” The interviewer asked.

“To go where none has gone before,” Alan said. “To rush in where others fear to tread. To explore options others haven’t considered. To seek innovative solutions. To fulfill even more promises than I’ve made.”

“I see,” said the interviewer. “Can you give me a specific example of where you went above and beyond?”

“Of course,” Alan said. “Our team was in a brainstorming session. Everyone was throwing out ideas and I tossed out a fantastic suggestion. One person said, ‘don’t go there,’ but I went there anyway.”

“And how did that work out?

“My idea was a great, innovative, revolutionary idea,” Alan boasted. “But you know how it is, right? Things get bogged down in the corporate hierarchy and the best ideas often end up languishing on the drawing board.”

“What did you take away from that experience?”

“‘Never say die,’ I always say,” Alan responded. “There’s no such things as coulda, shoulda, or woulda. Adversity brings out the best in me. My motto is to always keep swinging. The important thing is to dare to dream big, then take action to make it come true. You know, you either step up the stairs or stare at the steps.”

“I see.” The interviewer closed the folder on his desk. “Thank you for coming in, Alan. I have a number of other candidates to see. If we ever need a director of clichés and empty platitudes, though, you’ll be the first person I’ll call.”

Written for today’s one-word prompt, “above.”

14 thoughts on “The Interview

1. baddadcartoons101 March 2, 2018 / 10:21 am

Great post! We’ve all probably worked under this guy at one time where everything he says is just a bunch of words. It’s back to the old 80/20 rule – 20% do the work and 80% just spew a stream of cliches about the work! Very funny!

• Fandango March 2, 2018 / 10:53 am

I know I’ve encountered a few Alans in my life. Always talking and saying nothing.

2. Carol J Forrester March 2, 2018 / 11:19 am

This reminds me of an interview on The Apprentice (Uk version) where the guy was asked to describe his business with no cliches. His response: ‘It does what it says on the tin’.

3. theceaselessreaderwrites March 2, 2018 / 12:13 pm

This is freakin’ awesome, Fandango, you made me laugh out loud! Back when I used to work for the State, we had an Alan-type in our office. I swear I don’t think she could utter a single sentence without including a motivational cliche. I remember thinking, “Can she really believe all this shit all the time?”

• Fandango March 12, 2018 / 12:55 pm

I think there’s an Alan-type in just about every office. Thanks for your comment. Sorry I’m late in responding, but your comment somehow made it into my spam folder.

4. leigha66 March 3, 2018 / 1:27 pm

I think we have all encountered at least one person like that. Good post!