Live and Let Live

E9227BC6-99B3-4720-85AF-9D57A498DD08“Without God, you can have no moral compass,” he admonished. “How can you know right from wrong or good from evil if you don’t believe in God. Have you no core beliefs?”

“Of course I know right from wrong and good from evil. And yes, I do have core beliefs,” I said. “But they don’t include believing in a mythical, supernatural, omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient being.”

“But God created everything, including you. If you don’t believe in God, what’s the point of life? Of all of this?” he said, waving his arm around.

“Look,” I said. “I believe in live and let live. You know, whatever gets you through the day. Why can’t you do the same? Why do you feel compelled to ridicule me, tell me that I have no moral compass or that my core beliefs are meaningless just because they’re different from yours?”

“I’m just trying to save your soul from eternal damnation,” he said. “Don’t you want to be saved?”

“Saved from being condemned to an eternity in a hell I don’t believe in?” I said. “How about saving me from all of your religious proselytizing, please?”

“I just want you to feel the joy knowing that Jesus is with you and that you’re with Him.”

“I know you mean well,” I said, “and I respect your beliefs. You are free to believe whatever you want to believe, and if your beliefs work for you, that’s great. But so am I free to believe — or to not believe — and if that includes believing that God does not exist, you should respect my beliefs because that’s what works for me.”

“But without God there can be no morality,” he said. “That’s one of my core beliefs and it’s my duty to God to share them with you and to guide you so that you can know Him.”

“I’m sorry, but, while I appreciate whatever it is that you choose to believe, I just don’t accept, much less embrace, it,” I said. “Because my core belief is ‘you do you and I’ll do me’ and, by following that core belief, we’ll both do fine.”

Written for this past Sunday’s Sunday Writing Prompt from Mindlovemisery’s Menagerie. The challenge is to examine one of our core beliefs. In response to this prompt, I wrote this short, kind of fictional vignette. Comments, as always, are welcome.

12 thoughts on “Live and Let Live

1. Marilyn Armstrong February 28, 2018 / 9:58 pm

Religion has nothing to do with morality. I think we are all born with an inbred knowledge of good and evil, right and wrong. I know some terribly immoral “religious” people and some deeply righteous atheists. And if there IS a god, I’m sure he gets it.

• Fandango February 28, 2018 / 10:13 pm

I agree. But I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been told that morality cannot exist in the absence of God.

2. baddadcartoons101 March 1, 2018 / 1:28 am

There’s two young guys in suits, just rode up to your house on bikes and are ringing your doorbell, you better go answer it, it could be important!

• Fandango March 1, 2018 / 5:48 am

“Shh!” I tell my wife. “Don’t move. They’ll think no one is home and will go away.”

3. Michael March 1, 2018 / 2:19 am

I agree you don’t have to know God to still understand right from wrong, the argument that only through an understanding and faith in God etc will you be ‘saved’ is erroneous in itself. Religion has done far too much harm in the world, just look at the amount of child abuse perpetrated by the clergy.

4. Sight11 March 1, 2018 / 6:07 am

“You do you, and I’ll do me”… I laughed so hard. I almost fell… Almost..

5. mindlovemisery March 1, 2018 / 6:28 am

I also agree that one can be moral without belonging to a religion. In some religions man is considered evil and therefore incapable of inherent goodness and thus needs to be told how to behave so that he can live righteously. From my perspective what is the point if we are all evil and our sole goal is to avoid punishment? I find that really depressing =(

• Fandango March 1, 2018 / 7:43 am

Me too. I can’t comprehend how any religion can promote the notion that a newborn baby is born sinful.

• mindlovemisery March 1, 2018 / 8:03 am

I also don’t see the good it can bring to believe people are evil. When you start with the premise of evil you end up with a prison system based on punishment instead of rehabilitation, a system that abuses the downtrodden, a system that believes the answer to violence is more weapons and a greater show of violence.