Do As I Say, Not As I Do

6ACB6752-0C24-4DD1-AF33-E4F81FD50F82“Who are you to lecture us about pot, Mom?” Sam said.

“Yeah, Mom,” Rebecca added. “We know that you and Dad smoked grass, took quaaludes, and even dropped acid when you were young. We overheard you telling Uncle Larry and Aunt Marion about it.”

“And you both have a glass or two of wine at dinner almost every night,” Sam pointed out.

“Besides, now that grass is legal in our state, I heard Dad tell you that he bought some pot-infused gummies,” Rebecca added.

“Yes, and we also used to smoke cigarettes back then, too,” their mom said. “No one knew how bad cigarettes were for your health.”

“You’re deflecting, Mom,” Sam said. We’re talking about pot, not cigarettes.”

“And we’re talking about edibles, not smoking,” Rebecca pointed out.

“We were young and stupid back in the day. And you have to be 21 to purchase marijuana anyway. Your father and I are certainly not going to buy it for you.”

“So are you seriously throwing the old ‘do as I say, not as I do’ argument at us?” Sam asked.

“Someday you’ll have children of your own and then you’ll understand.”

“Gee, I’ve never heard that one before,” Rebecca said sarcastically. “What’s next? As long as you’re under our roof you’ll do as we say.”

“That’s exactly what I’m going to say,” their mom answered. “When you and your brother turn 21, Rebecca, you can do whatever you want to do, but in the meantime, you’ll do what your father and I tell you to do.”

“Too late, Mom,” Rebecca said. “We found those gummies Dad got and they’re just starting to kick in about now.”

“Okay fine,” their mother said. She went to the cabinet, found the gummies, and ate one. “Don’t tell your father when he gets home from work.”

Written for today’s one-word prompt, “lecture.”

10 thoughts on “Do As I Say, Not As I Do

1. V.J. Knutson February 13, 2018 / 9:42 am

Your title reminded me of my father, who loved to repeat that line. He told me if he ever caught me smoking – even though he did -he’d kill me. I went right out and bought cigarettes. That showed him! cough, cough, spew.

• Fandango February 13, 2018 / 11:49 am

I thinks that’s pretty common “advice” for parents to give their kids.

• V.J. Knutson February 13, 2018 / 12:01 pm

especially when they have no intention of changing their own behaviour, lol

2. Marilyn Armstrong February 13, 2018 / 10:19 am

I never did that. Too hypocritical. I let my son decide how he wanted to handle it and he was very sensible. A lot more sensible than I was.

3. baddadcartoons101 February 13, 2018 / 10:35 am

I am amused at that common misconception: back when I was younger we didn’t know cigarettes were bad for you. I believe cigarettes were called coffin nails in the late 1800’s. Young people just chose to ignore the facts because so many people smoked and the cigarette companies spent millions on advertising.

• Fandango February 13, 2018 / 11:52 am

Yeah, that’s true. But it wasn’t until later when the link to cancer was definitively proved.

• Fandango February 14, 2018 / 5:57 am

I don’t think so. But I probably did say “Because I said so.”

4. Kenneth T. May 20, 2018 / 11:26 pm

So the kids know a thing or two about reverse psychology, do they? hahaha