What’s That Word I’m looking For?

3CB7273E-B962-4AD4-9352-6977261FF1B2There are occasions these days when I can’t quite conjure up that exact word — one I’ve used a million times before — that would be perfect for what I want to say. And yes, my memory for names or events isn’t quite what it once was.

But after all, I am a senior citizen; a card carrying Medicare beneficiary.

Okay, just saying that makes me feel kind of old. But then I have to remind myself that age is really just a number. It is what it is. I didn’t choose when I was born, just as I can’t choose when I will die.

I admit that my body ain’t what it used to be. My mind, though, except for occasionally being unable to conjure up the precise word I know is out there, is still sharp. And I believe that blogging is a way to keep it that way.

Blogging forces me to exercise my brain. It challenges me to keep up with what is going on in the world around me — news, politics, science, society, technology. It requires doing research, checking facts, and being able to see different perspectives. It necessitates logical and critical thinking.

It also gets my creative juices flowing when I see an image or am given a word or a phrase and must try to conjure up a short, fictional story about what that image, word, or phrase brings to mind.

It means needing to be able to express myself articulately and in a clever, entertaining, and witty way. Or at least attempting to do so.

Blogging also puts me in touch with people from around the globe. Fellow bloggers of all ages, from various backgrounds, with unique experiences, and with varying world views. It provides me with insights into what others are thinking about, writing about, and doing.

Who knows? Blogging might even delay the inevitable onset of old-age — oh, what’s that word I’m looking for? Oh, right — dementia.

Written for today’s one-word prompt, “conjure.”

11 thoughts on “What’s That Word I’m looking For?

1. Marilyn Armstrong February 12, 2018 / 10:11 am

I totally love it when people point to my age and say “It’s just a number.” Really? Seriously?

• Fandango February 12, 2018 / 10:33 am

It is just a number. A big fricken’ number!

2. baddadcartoons101 February 12, 2018 / 10:44 am

You’re right! Mental exercise is as important as going to the gym and eating kale and a lot more enjoyable!

3. Michael February 12, 2018 / 2:45 pm

A mate of mine had a test lately for dementia but for the life of him can’t recall the results.

4. teresam61 February 12, 2018 / 4:37 pm

What a great post…..I agree on all counts!! Unfortunately I can also identify with “Word Searches”…….and I am NOT referring to the very popular puzzles by that name!!!

5. Sight11 February 12, 2018 / 4:59 pm

It is said that regularly walking in a straight line is more effective. I’m not kidding. The research was done by a Japanese scholar.

6. newepicauthor February 13, 2018 / 3:06 am

An elderly, white-haired man walked into a jewelry store one Friday evening with a beautiful young blonde at his side. He told the jeweler he was looking for a special ring for his girlfriend.
    The jeweler looked through his stock and brought out a $5,000 ring. The old man said, “No, I’d like to see something more special.” At that statement, the jeweler went to his special stock and brought another ring over. “Here’s a stunning ring at only $40,000,” he said. The young lady’s eyes sparkled and her whole body trembled with excitement. The old man seeing this said, “We’ll take it.” The jeweler asked how payment would be made and the old man stated, “By check. I know you need to make sure my check clears, so I’ll write it now, and you can call the bank on Monday morning to verify the funds and I’ll pick the ring up on Monday afternoon,” he said. On Monday morning, the jeweler phoned the old man and said “Sir, there’s no money in that account.” “I know,” said the old man, “but let me tell you about my weekend!”

• Fandango February 13, 2018 / 7:01 am

That’s a good one. I’ll have to remember that. … Um, remember what?