I Need A New Mnemonic

6B42606A-5F18-4756-9521-24EC0BEF75AFThe first time I heard the word “mnemonic” was in music class back in junior high school. The teacher told us that she was going to give us a mnemonic that would allow us to remember the notes on the music scale. To this day, I remember that mnemonic, but I’ve yet to learn how to read music.

I think we could use a few new mnemonics. How about one to help me remember than the word “mnemonic,” starts with a silent m?

Or how about one to remind me to never write a post late at night on my iPhone while in bed and schedule that post to be published in the wee hours of the morning without having thoroughly proofed it?

Late last night I wrote a post for today’s “Song Lyric Sunday” prompt from Helen Vahdati. But it was still Saturday at around 11 pm when I finished drafting it, and I didn’t want it to be published until Sunday morning. Because, you know, the prompt isn’t “Song Lyric Late Saturday Night.”

So I scheduled the post, which was about the Steely Dan song, “Rikki Don’t Lose That Number,” to be published at 3 am. When I woke up at 6:30 this morning, I checked to see if it had posted successfully. And there it was for all the world to see.

Except the title of the post was “Don’t Lise That Number.” Sheesh. I hate when that happens.

So I need a new mnemonic. Maybe PYPITTBHP, which stands for “Proofread Your Post, Including The Title, Before Hitting Publish.” That should be an easy one to remember.

10 thoughts on “I Need A New Mnemonic

1. pensitivity101 February 11, 2018 / 9:17 am

I remember the EGBDF for the treble and FACE for the bass clef. I know my notes, but couldn’t tell you one chord from another, even though I play piano………… mostly in F# (the black notes if you’re unsure) as I play by ear rather than read music. Sounds OK to me (ish). 🙂

2. Marilyn Armstrong February 11, 2018 / 9:48 am

Including the title. I need to remember that one. There’s nothing so agonizing as realizing you’ve misspelled the title. NO ONE will miss it.

• Fandango February 11, 2018 / 10:37 am

Yes, that’s true. It’s the first thing everyone sees!

3. J-Dub February 11, 2018 / 9:49 am

Very out of context but I thought ROY G. BIV … #rainbow or O B A F G K M Oh Be A Fine Girl, Kiss Me

I loved my astronomy class!!

4. Sight11 February 11, 2018 / 9:55 am

Happened to the best of Us( and that means you and Jim Sensei).

5. Helen Vahdati February 11, 2018 / 10:05 am

Haha, I didn’t even notice, to be honest! I guess I just go straight to the heart of the post and don’t really read the title.

I could never remember those mnemonics… I found I could read music just fine, but trying to learn those damn things was WAY harder! 🙂

6. rugby843 February 11, 2018 / 11:14 am

That’s how I find phone writing. Keyboard is small , eyes tired, and fingers weak. Notice I didn’t evaluate my brain…

7. Felicia Denise February 11, 2018 / 4:51 pm

YIKES! Been there, done that! And I Hate when I screw up Twitter hashtags! Doesn’t happen too often but when it does, I have to find my quiet place and rest. LMAO! 😝