Congratulations Eagles

5152216C-D5AC-446F-988E-2481540E4445Tom Brady summed up yesterday’s Super Bowl Game perfectly. “They made one good play at the right time.”

Brady was talking about Philadelphia’s defense when, with around two and a half minutes left in the game, an Eagles player ripped the ball out of Brady’s hands for a fumbled that gave the Eagles their first Super Bowl win.

As a Patriots fan, I was disappointed. Although down by five points, 38-33, the football was in the competent hands of Tom Brady with two and a half minutes left. Brady and the Pats had marched down field for relatively easy scores the three previous times they had the ball, so this was likely to prove to be the game-winning drive. I was sure of it.

But I was wrong.

So while I am a serious and loyal New England Patriots fan, permit me to openly admit that, overall, the Eagles outplayed and out coached the Patriots last night. Nick Foles, the Eagles quarterback, played like, well, Tom Brady. The Eagles head coach, Doug Peterson, called some gutsy and innovative plays, and, while both defenses were porous, the Eagles defense, as Tom Brady said, made “one good play at the right time.”

Written for todayone-word prompt, “permit.”

17 thoughts on “Congratulations Eagles

1. 80smetalman February 5, 2018 / 9:29 am

A very accurate account, Foles proved everybody who said the Eagles couldn’t win with him wrong! Their D-line didn’t show up until the final three minutes of the game but that was enough.

2. Marilyn Armstrong February 5, 2018 / 10:32 am

They outplayed the Patriots and were out-coached, too. But you know, it was a really GREAT game. Like Garry said, like an excellent western with the old gun versus the new gun. Too bad we didn’t do it, but hey, sometimes you lose.

• Fandango February 5, 2018 / 11:30 am

Yes, it was truly an exciting game…offensively, anyway.

• Fandango February 5, 2018 / 11:33 am

It was a really good game. Of course, I think it would have been even better if Brady hadn’t fumbled, but that’s just my humble opinion.

• D. A. M. Steelman February 5, 2018 / 12:16 pm

That was probably .01% of any of us. I’ve seen other cities do the same stuff… it doesn’t make sense to me either! Those people are idiots and while their shenanigans made the paper, their acts don’t represent true Philadelphia Sports Fans.

• Fandango February 5, 2018 / 12:25 pm

I will never understand that kind of response to a big sports victory.

3. Sight11 February 5, 2018 / 1:35 pm

Well I missed watching this one. Thanks for letting me know. You ruined it Sensei.

4. newepicauthor February 6, 2018 / 3:07 am

Brady is a conceded prick, the Eagles outplayed the Patriots and I will always view him and Belichick as cheaters.

• Fandango February 6, 2018 / 6:37 am

He may be conceited, but he’s got reason to be. Tom Brady is quite possibly the greatest quarterback in NFL history. But yes, the Eagles did outplay the Pats on Sunday night. I will concede that to you.

• newepicauthor February 6, 2018 / 12:07 pm

He is a phenomenal player, one of the best to ever play the game, but he is also a sore loser and that makes him a bad example for young children. Instead of him saying, “They made one good play at the right time”, he could have handled that better, but that is not his way. I understand that he was disappointed because it was such a close game that could have gone either way, but him not being able to lose graciously bothers me. I have watched him many times walk off the field after loosing a game without even bothering to shake anyone’s hand on the team that beat him. Knowing how to win is not everything in sports and Brady has a bad attitude.

• Fandango February 6, 2018 / 1:03 pm

I think you’re being hard on the guy. He’s extremely competitive and you can’t exempt someone like that to always be gracious after a hugely disappointing loss.

• newepicauthor February 6, 2018 / 1:14 pm

I may be a bit hard on the guy, but I am actually happy when he goes straight to the locker room after every loss. He may have been under a lot of strain, but it is poor sportsmanship and he does this after every loss. I know that you like the Patriots and I apologize if anything that I said makes you angry.

• Fandango February 6, 2018 / 1:49 pm

No, Jim, your opinion, no matter how totally wrong it is, would never make me angry. 🤪