#JusJoJan — Yummy Yummy Soup

540FF54A-26E4-4286-A9D3-4E2AB4CB9ED2Yikes. Yesterday’s Just Jot It January word was “fantastic,” and my post was all about how that is not a word I use very often. And now, today’s word, “scrumptious,” is yet another word that is not in my everyday vocabulary.

I associate “scrumptious” with mouth-watering, delicious foods. But I would not use “scrumptious” to describe such foods. Instead, I would use the word “yummy.”

Okay, I know what you’re thinking. For a senior citizen, which is what I am, to utter the word “yummy” to indicate that something tastes scrumptious might seem a little strange. But I blame my mother.

You see, when I was a little kid, my mother would use the word “yummy” to get me to eat certain things. For instance, she would take a can of Campbell’s condensed tomato soup, add a can of milk (instead of water), mix it together, heat it up, crush in it some Ritz crackers, and serve me a bowl of “yummy yummy soup.”

Or she would take two slices of bread, carve out a hole in the middle of each slice, throw both pieces of bread into a frying pan, crack open two eggs and drop each egg into the hole in each slice of bread, and fry up what she told me were “yummy yummy eggs.”

AF487A92-D5B0-4CD8-904B-249CF3428C9AAnd that is why, to this day, when I eat something that is mouth-wateringly delicious, I refer to it as being “yummy.” Or maybe even “yummy yummy.”

But never “scrumptious.”

Written for today’s Just Jot It January prompt from Linda G. Hill. The word of the day, “scrumptious,” was suggested by Judy E. Martin.

14 thoughts on “#JusJoJan — Yummy Yummy Soup

1. pensitivity101 January 30, 2018 / 7:00 am

I must try the fried bread and eggs. It will be a good snack for us, and as I don’t use oil to cook, I can keep the fats down.

2. Sight11 January 30, 2018 / 8:22 am

My mom still says it, so does her mom. So yeah Yummy is the word around here too..

3. BuzzCut January 30, 2018 / 10:22 am

Oh, I’ll have to try the eggs-In-toast!! it looks…yummy.

4. Judy E Martin January 30, 2018 / 11:10 am

I still use ‘yummy’ as well as ‘scrumptious,’ and those eggs in bread look both!!!

5. Michael January 30, 2018 / 1:28 pm

I did laugh when I read this one. The meal of eggs in the bread was known to us as ‘camels eyes’. Each Christmas my dad would cook them for everyone’s breakfast, his one contribution to Christmas and cooking for the year.

• Fandango January 30, 2018 / 1:52 pm

“Camel eyes,” huh? I think, as a small kid, I’d have been more amenable to “yummy yummy eggs” than to “camel eyes.” 🤪

• Michael January 30, 2018 / 2:02 pm

I’ve no idea where the name comes from its what my dad called them.

6. J-Dub January 30, 2018 / 3:19 pm

We called that egg in a basket! Yummy indeed!!!!

7. newepicauthor January 31, 2018 / 3:13 am

My mom called those gas house eggs, but I have heard them called egg in a hole and bird in a nest.