Intrusive Ads

Is it just me, or have others also noticed that random ads seem to be appearing either at the top of or somewhere in the middle of people’s posts? And not just one ad, but multiple ads.

I’ve known for a while that, for those of us with the free WordPress option, one or two ads might appear at the bottom of our posts. That placement is not that objectionable, too me, anyway. They’re out-of-the-way and totally ignorable.

But recently I’ve notice that, in several bloggers’ posts, advertisements (like the one below) are interspersed at various places, often between paragraphs. And I find that to be extremely annoying.

img_0559tI use the reader on the WordPress iPhone app to read other bloggers’ posts, so maybe these annoying, intrusive ads just appear in my iPhone’s reader and are not there on regular computers. Or maybe they are there, as well.

Are these ads something some bloggers agree to in order, perhaps, to earn some money from blogging? Or is this something WordPress has started inserting into posts, either in lieu of or in addition to those at the end of posts?

I can deal with the ads at the end of the posts, but those that appear within the posts interrupt the writer’s flow. I wish there was some way to get rid of them. Or, if bloggers are purposefully including those ads in their posts, be aware that it’s damn annoying.

I’m just sayin’.

18 thoughts on “Intrusive Ads

1. Suze January 26, 2018 / 4:35 pm

I have ads now that I am on wordpress instead of a self hosted blog. They annoy the crap out of me too but I don’t know how to get rid of them. I can only see “mine’ at the bottom of each page. do they float around for you? I assume some are for monetizing…i don’t cause I don’t have enough followers or traffic…

• Suze January 27, 2018 / 7:54 am

okey dokey…won’t try and “fix” anything then…well, not that I would KNOW how to fix it. I’d probably just kill this blog too……….sigh

2. Marilyn Armstrong January 26, 2018 / 4:48 pm

Yes, you did and do agree to them. I pay $99 a year and there will be NO ads on my site, not on your phone or anywhere else. Same ads, by the way, regardless of where you view the stuff. Some of the ads are seriously intrusive. But to be fair, I didn’t do it to go ad free — I needed the extra storage space for photographs and it was cheaper to buy the whole package.

3. Cyranny January 26, 2018 / 4:55 pm

Thanks for asking… I want to know too 🙂 I’ll check out the comments!!

4. Christine Goodnough January 26, 2018 / 6:07 pm

I’m planning to purchase a WordPress ‘package’ in spring, partly to eliminate ads, partly for the extra customized design potential. Otherwise, I think you’re stuck with the ads.

5. rugby843 January 26, 2018 / 6:39 pm

I have them at the bottom, after reading. Annoying ones when trying to read are the moving gifs, imo.

6. pensitivity101 January 27, 2018 / 2:19 am

I’m aware of ‘unbidden’ ads appearing at the bottom of some of my posts.
    We got fed up with being bombarded by ads on anything we did plus it slowed things down. Thank you Ad Blocker. In one session, it had stopped 132 ads.

7. Sight11 January 27, 2018 / 2:56 am

After switching to android I’m not seeing any adds on the app. Also since I don’t have a large following I hardly doubt you will see ads at the bottom of my post.

8. newepicauthor January 27, 2018 / 9:41 am

I am a paid member and I feel the money paid is well worth the satisfaction that I get from writing.