SoCS — Ban Cable News

For today’s Stream of Consciousness Saturday prompt from Linda G. Hill, our instructions are: “When you’re ready to sit down and write your post, look to the publication (book, newspaper, permission slip from your kid’s teacher, whatever you find) closest to you, and base your post on the sixth, seventh, and eighth word from the beginning of the page.”

Following those instructions, my post today will be all about “banned cable news.”

These three words appeared in the sixth, seventh, and eighth positions of the first sentence in a story I was reading in The Week magazine. The article read, in part:

A nationwide fitness chain has banned cable news from the TV sets in its gyms, saying that today’s toxic political climate is incompatible with its “healthy way of life philosophy.” Life Time Fitness, which operates 128 gyms, says the move comes in response to numerous customer requests.

So this is what it has come to in the United States. We have, as a nation, become so polarized and fractured that people who just want to stay healthy or get into better shape at their gym need a “safe-space” free of partisan political bickering.

Thank you Donald Trump. You have made America hate again.

9 thoughts on “SoCS — Ban Cable News

1. newepicauthor January 13, 2018 / 6:38 am

It is only going to get worse as long as Trump is in the White House we will keep sliding further down this slippery slope.

2. Sight11 January 13, 2018 / 7:52 am

Donald Trump will go on record to say that Fandango Sensei actually said Thank you to him today. Also he will say that the hate part is a typo—Present by the cunning Fox news..

3. bikerchick57 January 13, 2018 / 9:36 am

I applaud this gym! I would prefer to see something fun on the TV while I’m working out, rather than news that is upsetting. If I want to watch news, I will go home and watch it.

• Fandango January 13, 2018 / 12:16 pm

Good point. Plus, the gym can now lay off the on-sight EMT staff they had to maintain when they showed cable news on their TVs.

4. LindaGHill January 13, 2018 / 8:15 pm

Ugh. He has certainly raised the world’s collective blood pressure!

5. supernaturalsnark January 14, 2018 / 4:15 pm

I live in the UK and I feel like I need a full scale ban on all things Trump. He’s a turdwaffle.