Feeling Forlorn

98B39A80-031F-4DD4-ACBB-173BDD107999I have to be honest with you. I don’t think I have ever, in my life, felt forlorn.

Hmm. Let me think about that. Have I ever felt desolate or dreary; unhappy or miserable? How about lonely and sad? Forsaken? Hopeless? Bereft? Destitute? Nope, nope, and nope. Never ever have I felt any of those things.

It’s not that I’m a Pollyanna, an excessively cheerful or optimistic person, or anything. It’s just that there hasn’t been any reason for me to feel forlorn about anything.

Oh wait. I take that back. For a brief, wonderful moment, I was in a great mood. Then I remembered who our president is. Now I’m forlorn.

Written for today’s one-word prompt, “forlorn.”

13 thoughts on “Feeling Forlorn

1. Kathleen Jennette January 8, 2018 / 8:45 am

Yup… that number 45 can just make it all seem like we are all in a twilight zone episode and the vortex of being forlorn is real.

2. BuzzCut January 8, 2018 / 9:08 am

…until now, never? How can that be? you’re “missing out” on feeling all those other human emotions – sad!

• Fandango January 8, 2018 / 9:59 am

It’s not that I’ve never been sad, angry, or upset. I have been. But just not what I’d describe as lost, hopeless, desperate, desolate, or forlorn. I am not unhappy about “missing out” on feeling that way.

• BuzzCut January 8, 2018 / 12:01 pm

LOL..you did understand the Trump pun, right?
        … I think it’s great that you have not experienced that – it’s terrible.

• Fandango January 8, 2018 / 12:08 pm

Yes, I did, but I just thought I’d make sure that you know I’m a human and not a bot. 🤖

3. Marilyn Armstrong January 8, 2018 / 10:51 am

Never had someone you loved die? Like your mother, father, brother, best friend? Lost an important job? Or, for that matter, a beloved dog or cat or horse? You’re kidding, right? It doesn’t mean you feel that way for years at a time … but loss is loss is loss and if you don’t feel it, then you are living in a much better bubble than I am.

• Fandango January 8, 2018 / 11:55 am

Of course all of those things, loss of a loved one, a job, a pet, have happened to me. And yes, I feel sad, sometimes angry and upset, when such events occur. And maybe I’m reading too much into the words that are used to define “forlorn.” But I typically don’t feel with the intensity the feelings that “forlorn” and all of its synonyms describe. Maybe I’m just a shallow guy.

• Marilyn Armstrong January 9, 2018 / 9:18 am

Or maybe you just don’t like going into that part of your personality. Some people drink, others deny. I’m all for denial, as long as it works. It’s the best part of life. Denial, that is.

• Fandango January 8, 2018 / 6:23 pm

Actually, I’ve been feeling it every day since November 2016.

4. Sight11 January 9, 2018 / 12:41 am

You know you’re going way deep into the literal meaning of the word Sensei..