FFfAW — The Dreamer

019F84CC-4F32-4012-AD08-912423778A9FEric looked out toward the marina from the place near the water’s edge where he was sitting and admiring the yachts that were docked there. “I’ve always dreamed of having my own boat,” Eric said to the heron that was standing in the water near the shore. The heron showed little interest in what Eric had to say, as the bird was otherwise occupied hunting for a nice, succulent fish to spear.

Ignoring the disdain shown him by the heron, Eric continued. “Look at that one with the tall mast across the way, the one on the right. Ain’t she a beauty?”

The heron caught its fish, shook its head, spread its wings, and flew away.

“Fine,” Eric said, angrily calling out to the heron. “But you’ll see, bird, just like everyone else who says I’m nothing but a dreamer, that one day I’m gonna own a sailboat just like that one over there. I’m a dreamer, yes, but one who will make his dreams come true.”

(167 words)

Written for this week’s Flash Fiction for Aspiring Writers from Priceless Joy. Photo credit: J. S. Brand

18 thoughts on “FFfAW — The Dreamer

1. Iain Kelly January 2, 2018 / 10:37 am

I’m afraid I think the Heron may be right in this case, but good luck to Eric!

2. Sight11 January 2, 2018 / 11:11 am

My teachers always called me a dreamer.. Oh wait.. They called me a daydreamer.. Nice post, Sensei. Do you own a boat?

• Fandango January 2, 2018 / 11:20 am

No, I don’t, but I’ve always dreamed of owning one. 😏

3. Michael January 2, 2018 / 8:40 pm

Be nice if all our dreams could come true, great response good sir.

4. athling2001 January 4, 2018 / 9:32 am

Love Eric’s attitude. What if you used present tense in the first two sentences?

• Fandango January 4, 2018 / 10:59 am

Good suggestion. I made the change and it does work better. Thanks.

5. mandibelle16 January 8, 2018 / 12:10 pm

Hope he does fulfill his dreams one day. I also hope he doesn’t get easily sea sick 🙂