Conversation About Drama

72F31045-5C6F-4A0E-A96E-A6E737E1082BThis month there are two daily one word prompts. One is from WordPress, like today’s one-word prompt, “conversation.” The other is something cooked up by Linda G. Hill called Just Jot it January (or #JusJoJan). Today’s #JusJoJan word is “drama.”

So, I thought my first post of 2018 would be a one-word twofer. Let’s have a conversation about drama, shall we?

I enjoy a good drama. At the movies. On TV. In books. Even as flash fiction on someone’s blog. But not in my real life. I try, as best I can, to keep my life as free of drama as possible.

Of course, sometimes drama in life is unavoidable. Shit happens. People do or say stupid things. Drama happens.

So what can you do to escape drama? Well, if possible, don’t get involved. If you’re not a party to the drama, get out of the way. Or if that’s not possible, maybe just lend a neutral and sympathetic ear to those immersed in whatever drama is taking place.

But sometimes you’re an actor in a drama that is playing out. Maybe at home with family, maybe at play with friends, or maybe at work with coworkers or your boss. What you want to do is to minimize the drama as much as possible.

How, you ask? Well, my first bit of drama avoidance advise is to determine if you, yourself, are the source of the drama. Are you the constant? Are you creating it? If drama is always swirling around you, you need to change your behavior, your perspectives.

And whether it’s you at the center of the drama or if it’s others, you need to think before you react. Maybe follow that old trick of counting to ten before you say or do anything. And you need to figure out a way to rein in your emotions. Don’t feed the drama, tamp it down.

So there you have it. Fandango’s words of wisdom regarding removing drama from your life. If you need more drama, read a book, go to the movies, or watch TV.

3 thoughts on “Conversation About Drama

1. BuzzCut January 1, 2018 / 9:20 am

I just read several of your earlier posts (the “more in” at the bottom of posts is quite convenient) and I have a question: I like your writing style, you write well and have many ‘followers’ that comment. What is your background or, more precisely, are/were you a ‘writer’ in a professional capacity?

2. newepicauthor January 1, 2018 / 9:42 am

Nice post Dango! I originally thought that you made a typo when you wrote ‘tamp’, thinking that you meant to say ‘stamp’, but I looked it up and it says, “ram or pack (a substance) down or into something firmly”, which works well for your sentence. Thanks for teaching me a new word.

3. Sight11 January 1, 2018 / 10:08 am

Sensei, did someone upset your mood by creating ‘drama’?

• Fandango January 1, 2018 / 11:21 am

Nope. Just responding to the two one-word prompts. No worries.

4. bestmermaid January 1, 2018 / 10:10 am

I like how you combined the two topics. I’m a lot like you, I like watching drama but not having it in my life (it’s toxic). And sadly it seems like the same people continuously surround themselves in it yet have no idea how to distance themselves from it. You had some good points! Changing your perspective and habits are good ways of creating some distance from drama.

5. J-Dub January 1, 2018 / 11:55 am

Good advice! Creative combo post! Thanks for sharing!