Quality and Quantity

76351817-81EE-409D-975E-FF584641CCD6Proclivity is a tendency to choose or do something regularly; an inclination or predisposition toward a particular thing.

Apparently I have a proclivity for blogging. It’s something I choose to do regularly. I am inclined to post to my blog every day. Sometimes two, three, or even four times a day.

But a proclivity for something should not be confused with proficiency at that something. Proficiency is a high degree of competence or skill, an expertise, a mastery.

I sometimes worry that my proclivity for blogging focuses too much on quantity at the expense of quality. If I cut back to just one post a day, or even one every other day, would my less frequent posts be more engaging, interesting, informative, and/or provocative?

But then I realized that, in today’s world of Twitter and Facebook and the myriad talking heads on all of the cable news networks, it’s not what you say, but how often you say it that counts.

Thank you, Donald Trump, for teaching me that.

Written for today’s one-word prompt, “proclivity.”

15 thoughts on “Quality and Quantity

• Fandango December 26, 2017 / 12:49 pm

Good to know my posts don’t stink!

• Fandango December 26, 2017 / 2:24 pm

Thanks Michael. I enjoy your posts as well. Especially the sometimes macabre ones you occasionally post.

1. Marilyn Armstrong December 26, 2017 / 11:50 am

You know — this is supposed to be fun. Are you having fun? Screw proficiency! have a good time!

2. rugby843 December 26, 2017 / 2:09 pm

I agree with Marilyn, do what you want, how you want. I enjoy your posts immensely.

• Fandango December 26, 2017 / 2:26 pm

I appreciate that. And I will try to continue to “do my thing,” post-wise.

• rugby843 December 26, 2017 / 2:29 pm

I think you should blog for yourself, that’s what I do. I like it but if I started trying to please everyone else it wouldn’t work

3. Sight11 December 26, 2017 / 9:13 pm

I ‘was’ posting regularly. Now i don’t. But I ‘still am’ a reader of your blog, Sensei. And I am a choosy fellow..

• Fandango December 26, 2017 / 9:49 pm

Thanks, Sight. I’m honored to have you as a regular reader and commenter.

4. Pingback: Gloss – Journey