Moral Compass

img_0274It’s quite clear to anyone who has one, that our president lacks any sort of moral compass. So do many, if not most, of the Republicans in Congress.

Donald Trump’s true north is whatever benefits him and his family, regardless of who or how mant get hurt along the way. How else can you explain how poor and middle class Americans are being thrown overboard while the rich and large corporations are reaping huge benefits from the corruption that has engulfed the executive and legislative branches of our government?

Ultra rich Republican donors now control the government of the United States. Their almighty dollars that they contribute to conservative causes are transforming this country into an autocratic theocracy.

But what is even more shocking to me are those who claim the loudest that they live their lives by the word of God. Evangelical Christians are people who are committed to the Christian gospel message that Jesus is the the savior of humanity and who promote the “good news” about Jesus.

8D33D9B3-9EA5-4F7E-847E-7FEBC36DCB71

But these very religious, outwardly pious people who literally consider themselves to be holier than thou, have tossed away their moral compass in favor of political expediency.

They were quick to abandon their morality in order to justify electing a thrice-married, real estate and failed casino mogul who bragged about grabbing women by the pussy and who rarely goes to church.

And then they reached an even higher level of hypocrisy with their staunch support and avid defense of the then candidate for Senate, accused child molester Roy Moore.

185EECA8-FE12-4D9D-8ECE-9EA65ED8ABD3

There is no doubt that the right in America, both political and religious, has abandoned their moral compass. I wonder if they can ever recover it.

Written for today’s one-word prompt, “compass.”

23 thoughts on “Moral Compass

1. Sight11 December 18, 2017 / 9:53 am

Trump presidency, I believe has open the true face of many people. Those celebrities who chanted, they will give up citizenship. The big internet corporations who remained silent on the culling of Net Neutrality. The broadcasting networks who succeeded in promoting his hate campaign. It feels America nows stands for Crony Capitalism. I believe the damage is so widespread that even when Dim-o-crats will replace these Tyrants and Despotic Ripping-public(can).. They will blindly ‘follow the trend’.

• Fandango December 18, 2017 / 9:56 am

I, too, wonder if the damages done to my country can ever be rectified or if we are witnessing firsthand the rapid fall of the United States.

• Fandango December 18, 2017 / 1:18 pm

They can’t even see their own hypocrisy. I think they no longer ask themselves “what would Jesus do?” or even care what Jesus would do.

• BuzzCut December 18, 2017 / 1:36 pm

these are the reasons the alt-right have bunkers – they planned what’s going down.

2. Marleen January 26, 2019 / 8:00 pm

The New Feudalism

There’s one thing the guest
    (author) says here that I don’t
    agree with, but the counterpoint
    for it is already shared earlier on in
    this same video. I’m including this for
    the general ideas I’m seeing him convey.

• Marleen January 27, 2019 / 1:25 am

We need to not forget about education before college.
        (And that’s not all this conversation below touches upon.)

Charter Schools, Race, & Urban Space:
        Where Market Meets Grassroots Resistance (w/ Kristen L Buras) [This is longer.]

3. Melanie B Cee January 27, 2019 / 12:07 pm

There are dumb asses in every group. Being a Mormon (which isn’t a Christian according to that same evangelical poseurs posse) I can attest that there are idiots in whatever gathering of humans you could name. Telemarketers, schools, politics (it’s riddled with idiocy), religion (as you noted), quilters guilds, Star Trek fans…the list goes on and on. I doubt God (in whom I know you don’t believe) is amused by rabid support of a hate mongering racist like t-dump. I suspect He is saddened by this debacle. And there I go judging, which is also a big no-no. I see nothing good in T-dump though and I doubt I ever will. Interesting perspective sir, as usual.

4. Marleen January 27, 2019 / 2:00 pm

I find it interesting that the same types of people that have given Trump listings for Supreme Court nominees and ideas for filling his cabinet were behind the quick, non-democratic charter for-profit takeover of a school system after an extreme environmental crisis (and other co-optings at other times) — and are groups to which billionaires (even some who are called the left elite by Republican followers) listen to feel or think they look or do good when putting their money out there — groups that have largely driven conservative evangelicals [even neo-liberals] for decades.

5. Marleen January 28, 2019 / 12:30 am

Disgusting, really. Yes. It’s disturbing to look at who people have been associating with and what they have been doing behind the scenes. But the tacky underside is now turning up, some of it all the way to the surface. The curiosity is who does and doesn’t see it as or notice it as tacky. Again, worse than tacky. (And more than curiosity.)