#writephoto — Brotherly Love

img_0260James and Amy crawled out of the tunnel and into the open air. They both had on their protective masks as they emerged from their underground dwelling. James took out a kit he used each week to test the air.

“This is a positive sign,” he said to Amy. “The particulate level is down significantly from last week’s reading. Maybe by next week we’ll be able to come to the surface and remove our masks.”

Amy looked toward the horizon beyond the large tree just outside of the tunnel’s hidden entrance. “The haze also seems to be lifting a little,” she said. “The sun is a little brighter and I think I can even see some hints of blue in the sky.”

This was the latest bit of encouraging signs the two had witnessed since the bombs came close to destroying the planet and civilization a few months back. “We are the fortunate ones to have survived,” James said. “So many others were either killed instantly or died shortly after the bombs.”

“Or maybe they were the lucky ones,” Amy observed. “We are living in a hole in the ground, barely surviving. We’re cold and hungry all the time. And who knows, once it’s safe to return to the surface full time, what will be left? How many others, like us, survived?”

“I don’t know,” James admitted. “But perhaps we’ll find ourselves a new Garden of Eden and we’ll be a modern day Adam and Eve.”

“Eww,” said Amy. “I know it’s been tough living together in that hole and I’ve seen you jerking off in your corner. But you’re my brother, James. Don’t be gross.”

Written for the Thursday Photo Prompt from Sue Vincent.

28 thoughts on “#writephoto — Brotherly Love

1. Sue Vincent December 14, 2017 / 12:31 pm

When the guidelines said ‘family friendly’ I didn’t mean that friendly… 😉

2. Michael December 14, 2017 / 3:06 pm

Its an interesting dilemma isn’t it the protocols of living when a disaster such as you describe happens.

3. Iain Kelly December 14, 2017 / 3:31 pm

Well, that’s a closer sibling relationship than you would want to have…

• Fandango December 14, 2017 / 9:15 pm

Yes, I enjoy the reactions when people read this. Glad you liked it.

4. baddadcartoons101 December 14, 2017 / 9:06 pm

Well if you take the family tree all the way back to Adam and Eve, there has to be plenty of brother sister relationships as there were not even cousins yet to join the gene pool.

• Fandango December 14, 2017 / 9:16 pm

Excellent point. I suppose if you go back far enough, we’re all related to one another.

5. anuragbakhshi December 15, 2017 / 3:31 am

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Talk about brotherly love! I remember when we were in school, we used to have something akin to a national pledge, something on the lines of- I am an Indian, all Indians are my brothers and sisters… At which point, the boys would mutter under their breath – Except one!

6. thebackyardpoet December 15, 2017 / 6:56 am

Shouldn’t be to hard to repopulate. Since it appears that ‘The Orange Man’ ended up screwing us all.

7. James December 15, 2017 / 7:13 am

Well, that would be awkward. As an aside, the danger from fallout radiation would be relatively brief, but nuclear winter could last decades or longer.

• Fandango December 15, 2017 / 7:35 am

Isn’t that what scientists say killed off the dinosaurs? A sort of “nuclear winter” as a result of a giant asteroid hitting the planet? Or is that just a myth?

• James December 15, 2017 / 7:43 am

It’s a prevailing theory of the last major extinction event. Either an asteroid or comet his the Earth somewhere around modern day Mexico and threw up an enormous cloud of dust and debris, restricting the amount of sunlight reaching the Earth. Supposedly, most of the plant life feeding the herbivores died, thus starving out the herbivores and then the carnivores. Wee little mammals managed to survive though, or so it is believed.

8. goroyboy December 15, 2017 / 6:28 pm

Well crafted story line with me chuckling at the end. Great play on emotions.

9. gc January 5, 2018 / 4:49 pm

Happy New Year. Thank you for following my old blog “Your Nibbled News”. I have a new blog for the new year entitled “The Main Aisle” located @ http://www.themainaisle.com. The older site has been deleted. I hope you will visit the new site. 🙂

• Fandango January 5, 2018 / 5:07 pm

It must have automagically moved me over because I’m already following your new blog.