FFfAW — Delicacy

25DEAA6B-AD2F-46F1-82D9-CCB999B6442D“What is that?” ten-year-old Jennifer asked her nanny.

“Why little darlin’, dem’s fried plantains,” Suzanna said.

“Plantains? What are plantains?” Jennifer wanted to know.

“Plantains, sweet honey, are like bananas,” Suzanna said. “You like bananas, don’t you?”

Jennifer was skeptical. “Those don’t look like bananas,” she said.

Suzanna laughed, “No, dems don’t look like bananas cause dey been fried up nice and crispy.”

Still skeptical, Jennifer was hesitant. “I don’t know, Suzanna.”

“Dey like banana chips,” Suzanna said in a reassuring voice. “I make dem nice and sweet cause I fry dem wif sugar in da oil.”

“So are they like potato chips but made from bananas instead of potatoes?” Jennifer asked.

“Dey better dan potato chips, sweetie,” Suzanna replied. “Dey sweet, not salty. Try one.”

“Okay, Suzanna.” Jennifer tentatively reached out and grabbed the smallest plantain chip from the plate. She slowly brought the small chip to her mouth and placed the chip inside.

“So, you like Suzanna’s Jamaican fried plantain chips?” Suzanna asked.

Jennifer looked at her nanny and simply said, “They suck.”

(175 words)

Written for this week’s Flash Fiction for Aspiring Writers from Priceless Joy. Image credit: Yarndpinnerr.

To be honest, I have no clue what’s in the plate in that photo and I’ve never tasted Jamaican plantain chips, which I’m sure are delicious.

24 thoughts on “FFfAW — Delicacy

1. Suze December 12, 2017 / 11:35 am

I will go find my recipe for Southern Plantain chips and send it to ya hon…they are wonderful. And I think those things in the picture are friend squid actually………..

2. Suze December 12, 2017 / 1:20 pm

okay, here it is. 2 black plantains, peel and cut into inch slices. 1 teas vanilla, 2 T sugar, 1/4 teas salt, 1.4 teas cinnamon, 1/4 c veg oil.
    heat oil in shallow pan, place plantains in oil and pour vanilla over them, turn when browned and fry for a few more minutes until both sides are brown. Drain on a paper towel and sprinkle with salt cinnamon and sugar. Enjoy!

• Fandango December 12, 2017 / 1:26 pm

Mmm. Sounds delicious. I’ll have to try it this weekend. Thanks.

3. Michael December 12, 2017 / 2:57 pm

Im from Yorkshire yet i read that im my best southern accent. I was quite offensive i think

4. Priceless Joy December 12, 2017 / 4:12 pm

Hahahaha! I think she had her mind made up before she tried them that she wasn’t going to like them. LOL! Great story! I had no idea what was in that plate either so I made up something. lol

• Fandango December 12, 2017 / 4:31 pm

Yeah, I think we all had to make up what might have been in that plate. I’d love to know what was actually in that plate. Maybe yarnspinnerr will offer us a clue.

5. michael1148humphris December 12, 2017 / 4:15 pm

That is one naughty little girl 😀

6. anuragbakhshi December 12, 2017 / 10:11 pm

This Suzanna is quite a handful! Btw, my wife reliably informs me that this is a spice called mace 🙂