I Got Nothing Today

8B4EC126-35DC-447B-B507-4EEF75C8A2C7When I see the WordPress one-word prompt each morning, I think about if I’m going to respond and, if so, how?

Will I write a bit of flash fiction using the word as inspiration? Will the word remind me of something that happened in my life or in the life of someone I know and motivate me to write a post about such an incidence?

Will the word trigger something related to current events, political goings on, or some other timely topic for me to write about?

Today’s one-word prompt is the word “elegance.” It’s a noun used to describe something that is elegant, something tastefully fine or luxurious in dress, style, or design. Something refined or dignified.

There is nothing about me or anyone I know that can be described as “elegant.” My family, friends, and acquaintances are all firmly ensconced in America’s middle class. My home is not in any way elegant. Nor is my clothing, my car, or my lifestyle.

And today, neither is my imagination, as I haven’t been able to conjure up a fanciful tale built around the word “elegance” to share with my readers.

So I’m sorry to disappoint, but I got nothing. There will be no post from me today in response to the WordPress one-word prompt. Check back with me tomorrow.

14 thoughts on “I Got Nothing Today

1. Sight11 December 11, 2017 / 9:31 am

You have elegantly defined the empty state of mind you are in Sensei. I guess that’s victory.

2. Marilyn Armstrong December 11, 2017 / 10:31 am

Elegance means an outfit that isn’t covered in cat hair. I can’t even remember being elegant.

• Fandango December 11, 2017 / 10:37 am

Having both a dog and a cat, everything I own is covered in black fur!

3. baddadcartoons101 December 11, 2017 / 12:21 pm

But your posts alway read with great elegance, I alway enjoy reading them while snacking on prosciutto, aged cheddar and grey poupon while sipping wine with my pinky out!

4. newepicauthor December 11, 2017 / 3:07 pm

An elegant writer will use appropriate and interesting words, phrases, sentences, and paragraphs to produce graceful, unobtrusive prose that will keep a reader’s attention and interest and that describes your writing style perfectly.

• Fandango December 11, 2017 / 9:35 pm

What a kind and generous thing to say. Thanks.

5. Michael December 11, 2017 / 3:23 pm

Had the same thing happen today to me kinda… sometimes there’s just nothing that sparks into life…

• Fandango December 11, 2017 / 9:35 pm

I call times like that “brain farts.”

6. Scott December 12, 2017 / 7:04 am

Not only does your humor come through but I love your honesty here. Perhaps it would be good if we all wrote nothing for some time? JK. Not even possible. I too am not an elegant person. I too am middle class. What is scary and shocking about elegance? It calls to mind some Victorian woman. What could I say to her? She doesn’t understand where I live. Perhaps I should move to a more pristine, pure and holy place.

• Fandango December 12, 2017 / 7:29 am

Ah, to live in the elegance of the Victorian age. I can’t imagine!