Sunday Photo Fiction — Mean and Inconsiderate

723932EE-D420-4715-8A6E-0D5A0FA1A04FIt was, perhaps, the meanest act I’d ever committed. Certainly the most inconsiderate. But I was only ten-years-old, so what did I know?

My father loved to build miniature settings. He had constructed an elaborate village around his HO scale train set in our attic. It included a train station, post office, church, store, and a few homes. There were painted roads with small cars and trucks and tiny little people. It was fully landscaped with trees and shrubs, hills, and a creek. A true work of art.

For Christmas one year, he decided to build a little fairy village on our patio for my younger sister. He constructed it from twigs, straw, branches, and stones. He built a tiny church, shed, fire pit, table, and bench. It was exquisite.

He finished it just in time for Christmas and, when Christmas morning arrived, my sister and I eagerly opened our presents. My favorite was a 20-inch tall Godzilla monster doll.

Dad escorted us out to our back patio and unveiled the fairy village. My sister squealed in delight. I, with Godzilla in hand, proceeded to destroy the tiny village by stomping all around, making horrible monster noises, just like the movie.

(202 words)

Written for this week’s Sunday Photo Fiction prompt. Image credit: Eric Wiklund.

16 thoughts on “Sunday Photo Fiction — Mean and Inconsiderate

1. Sheena December 10, 2017 / 9:07 am

I’m guessing that Godzilla was grounded till New Year!

• Fandango December 10, 2017 / 11:16 am

No doubt. What else would a 10-year-old boy do with a Godzilla doll?

• Fandango December 10, 2017 / 11:17 am

Why does everyone think this piece of flash fiction was autobiographical?

2. James December 10, 2017 / 11:06 am

Of course Godzilla always gets zapped in the end and so did the other little monster, I suspect.

3. EagleAye December 10, 2017 / 3:46 pm

That’s okay. Cities can always recover after Godzilla. Just ask anyone from Tokyo.

4. Sight11 December 10, 2017 / 11:52 pm

I would have loved to see the sight of you being grounded. Hahahah!

5. anuragbakhshi December 11, 2017 / 9:09 pm

Good that he used the Godzilla. What choice did he have in front of that gigantic fearsome demolition army!