Ithaca is Gorges

The picture above is of the Genesee River Gorge as seen from the Finger Lakes hiking trail. The image below is Taughannock Falls, also seen from that same trail.

Summertime in Ithaca, which is located in upstate New York, is beautiful. The Ithaca area has more than 150 gorges and waterfalls and miles of hiking trails. It’s also home to Cornell University and Ithaca College.

The breathtaking landscape of the Finger Lakes region was sculpted by continually advancing and retreating glaciers over the past several million years, which may be a shock to those who believe that the planet is only about 6,000 or so years old. But it’s true.

The autumn in and around Ithaca is spectacular, a result of nature’s annual show of colors as the leaves turn from green to the reds, oranges, and golds of the fall season, as can be seen from the image of Ithaca Falls below.

One word of advice, though. Winters in Ithaca are only for the hardiest among you.

Written for today’s one-word prompt, “gorge.”

15 thoughts on “Ithaca is Gorges

1. Sight11 December 7, 2017 / 8:31 am

These look like it came from your personal collection. Travelled with wife and kids?

• Fandango December 7, 2017 / 8:35 am

One of my kids graduated from Ithaca College. Actually, all these shots came from Google Images. I do have tons of pictures of the gorges and waterfalls of Ithaca, but didn’t feel like taking the time to pick through them, so I took the easy way out and grabbed them from Google.

• Sight11 December 7, 2017 / 9:47 am

Sorry Sensei. The last 4 words were not meant for you. A call drop by and my swift keyboard mic was active.. It recorded these words from my conversation. You know the rest. So original comment was meant to be “All hail Sensei. You’re getting lazy”. So remove these 2 comments..

• Fandango December 7, 2017 / 1:52 pm

What, you don’t want to know what my plans are for Christmas?

2. Marilyn Armstrong December 7, 2017 / 2:09 pm

Stunning scenery! It has been a long time since we were in upstate NY. I sometimes forget how beautiful it is.

3. Megha's World December 7, 2017 / 2:18 pm

Ithaca is on my list for next fall. I have seen a lot of places upstate New York. (Catskill, Woodstock, Hopetcong ,Bushkill,Neversink,etc )