#100WW — Enchanted Forest

BA64F1F7-C21A-406B-BDA4-8920BBD62D0FEllen hopped off her bicycle seat and planted both feet on the ground. Jeff caught up with her. “You okay?”

Looking down the road, Ellen said, “It’s like an enchanted forest.”

“More like haunted, I’d say. Look at those tree limbs up ahead. They’re like tentacles that will reach out and grab you if you try to pass.”

“You’re crazy,” Ellen said, jumping up on her bike and cycling down the road.

Grabbing his smartphone, Jeff snapped a picture as Ellen rode away. But when he looked to see how it turned out, Ellen was missing from the image.

(98 words)

Written for this week’s 100 Word Wednesday prompt from Bikurgurl. Image credit: Trevor Cole.

11 thoughts on “#100WW — Enchanted Forest

• newepicauthor December 7, 2017 / 2:27 am

The trees are bordering on being creepy, and I hope that Ellen is OK.

1. James McEwan December 7, 2017 / 11:35 am

Seems like a great place to be – a refuge from the smart phone reception – bliss.

2. bikurgurl December 26, 2017 / 9:19 pm

I love your comparing the tree limbs to tentacles, then finding Ellen is not able to be captured on film {digitally} in this magical place. But where does the story go from here? So many more words to write 😉 Thank you for joining us again this week!

• Fandango December 26, 2017 / 9:52 pm

So many more words to write, but you allow me only 100!

• bikurgurl December 26, 2017 / 9:56 pm

I know! I hope you do feel free to take the prompt and run with it — expanding it into a larger series. I know bloggers who take the various prompts and weave them into their ongoing tales and sagas {though some hosts frown upon that for obvious/non-obvs continuity reasons}. I’m thinking of changing the format once we reach a year next week, but then would it still make sense to call it ‘100 Word Wednesday’? Taking opinions 😉

• bikurgurl December 26, 2017 / 9:57 pm

{and I should also say, as behind as I’ve been in reading and commenting, I couldn’t commit to read more than 100 words weekly in this season!!} 😉

• Fandango December 26, 2017 / 10:23 pm

It’s challenging for me to write a complete story (beginning, middle, and end) in 100 words because I tend to be verbose. So having to stay within the 100 word limit is a great exercise for me. It requires me to be concise and to choose my words carefully. Mark Twain, once commented about how difficult it is to be concise in one’s writing. He said, “If I had more time, I’d write shorter.”

• bikurgurl December 26, 2017 / 10:26 pm

Oh how true! Precisely why I began the weekly writing challenge as well! I am great at a great many words, but finding the precise words to convey much in few words? A challenge 😉 Thank you so much for your thoughts — a kindred writing spirit!

Comments are closed.