Time To Move Again

4FB15407-DE65-41DF-A9FB-596914642C70“We don’t take vacations, we relocate,” Dwight quipped. “We’re the quintessential nomadic family, aren’t we, babe?”

“It’s been tough on the kids, though,” said Maggie, “having to leave their friends, change schools, and get settled into new places.”

“Why do you move so often?” Steve asked Dwight. “You’re not in the military, are you?”

“No,” Dwight said. “I’m just seeking fame and fortune. And I’m easily bored,” he chuckled. “To be honest, I’ve found that switching jobs enables me to bump up my salary faster and higher than staying put and relying on puny annual raises.”

“But it is tough on the kids,” Maggie reiterated, “and on me, as well.”

“Look at all the places we’ve been able to visit, though, honey,” Dwight said to his wife.

“That’s what vacations are for,” she answered.

“Vacations?” Dwight said mockingly. “You can’t really get to know a place on a vacation. You can’t immerse yourself, learn what the place and the people are all about during a one week vacation. Am I right, Steve?”

Steve shrugged. “Don’t ask me. Becky and I were both born and raised in this town and we’ve lived in the same house since we got married nearly twenty years ago.”

“How lucky for you and Becky, Steve,” Maggie said. Then looking back at Dwight, she added, “And as soon as we’ve been in a place long enough to even begin to immerse ourselves and for the kids and me to make new friends, you tell us you’ve found a new job in some other city and we have to pick up and relocate yet again.”

“Speaking about that, sweetie, how do you feel about Chicago?” Dwight asked Maggie, who then stood up and ran crying out of the room.”

“Okay, I’m outta here,” Steve said. “Good luck in Chicago, Dwight.”

Written for today’s one word prompt, “relocate.”

9 thoughts on “Time To Move Again

1. newepicauthor December 5, 2017 / 12:19 pm

I changed jobs often, because I worked as a consultant, but I never had to move because of my job.

• Fandango December 5, 2017 / 12:21 pm

I moved a few time for work, but now I’m retired and I’m staying put. Well, unless I leave the county because of Trump, which I’m seriously thinking about.

• Fandango December 5, 2017 / 1:22 pm

Given some thoughts to Vancouver, BC, New Zealand, Australia, and possibly Mexico.

• Michael December 5, 2017 / 1:41 pm

Come on down we have political lunatics too but they don’t necessarily run the place.

2. Michael December 5, 2017 / 1:42 pm

I changed locations a few times, different towns, and even different houses in the one town…but like you I like staying put.

3. Sight11 December 5, 2017 / 8:17 pm

My Dad work made him to move often. But he somehow managed by commuting on a regular basis. It although affected his health and not in a good way..