The New World

390F2992-B344-4E60-9359-233F0E0BCDE8

“May God have mercy on his soul,” the minister said just before they injected the fatal cocktail into the man’s arm.

“He has no soul,” an angry woman said loudly to the others who were witnessing the execution.

“If there really was a god,” another said, “how could he have allowed someone to commit such a heinous crime?”

“There are bad people out there,” said yet another observer.

“I can’t stand it,” said a sobbing woman from the back of the observation room. “My son wasn’t a bad man.”

“Well,” said the man sitting beside her, “he should have known better. It’s no longer permissible to criticize the president. And what he posted in his blog was pretty strong.”

“He was just a foolish blogger,” she said.

“The Ministry of Information has super computers that use artificial intelligence to scan every blog post or news article posted. They’re looking for anything that in any way might be viewed as derogatory about the president,” the man explained. “Those journalists and bloggers who get tagged are rounded up and imprisoned…or worse.”

The woman began sobbing even harder. “Who would have thought back in 2016 that openly criticizing the President of the United States would be punishable by lethal injection?”

“It’s a whole new world out there,” the man said.

Written for today’s one-word prompt, “mercy.”

18 thoughts on “The New World

1. thebackyardpoet November 22, 2017 / 11:42 am

And still the masses will proclaim, “can’t we just leave Trump alone and let him do his job?”

2. newepicauthor November 22, 2017 / 11:46 am

People have a pesky habit of questioning things and it would go a heck of a lot easier for Trump if this were a dictatorship.

3. Kijo November 22, 2017 / 12:16 pm

I’m learning NLP (A.I. readers) and am fairly concerned that this may happen in the future. Maybe I’ll find a technique for evading parsers while remaining readable to humans.

• Fandango November 22, 2017 / 12:28 pm

Good luck with that. I think it’s just a matter of time before the thought police take over.

• Kijo November 22, 2017 / 12:39 pm

We could stop thinking then. I don’t mean we stop making sense, I mean we stop making sense in the form of thoughts. Does that make sense? 🙂

• Fandango November 22, 2017 / 1:31 pm

Yeah, if you’re an inanimate object. 🤨

4. Michael November 22, 2017 / 12:19 pm

Its a scary world isn’t when you think of what he might do…..

• Fandango November 22, 2017 / 4:39 pm

Things are heading that way. Be careful what you write!

5. Sight11 November 22, 2017 / 7:12 pm

Means when I will be old, My mom might see me like that? Thanks for not so pretty imagery..