#writephoto — Sailors’ Delight

Jason and his son stepped outside to look at the breathtakingly beautiful sunset. “Red sky at night, sailors’ delight. Red sky at morning, sailors’ take warning,” Jason said.

“Are you a sailor, Daddy?” Richie asked.

“No, son. It’s just an old saying,” Jason responded.

“But is it true, Daddy?” Richie asked. “Is a red sky at night good, but one in the morning is bad?”

“It’s based upon how the prevailing winds usually blow from west to east,” Jason explained. “And since we’re looking toward the west, where the sun is setting, it’s a good sign for tomorrow’s weather.”

Richie asked the inevitable question of an eight-year-old. “Why, Daddy?”

Jason sighed. “Well,” he said, “the saying assumes that when you see the rising sun illuminating clouds in the morning, more clouds will be coming in from the west, which portends cloudy weather to follow.”

Richie looked confused, so Jason continued, “But in order to see red clouds in the evening, sunlight from the setting sun must have a clear path from the west. Therefore, the prevailing winds coming in from the west will be bringing clear skies.”

“But why, Daddy?”

“It’s just an old wives’ tale,” Jason said.

“Is Mommy an old wife,” Richie asked.

Jason looked at his watch. “Oh my, look at the time. I think I heard your mother calling us for dinner.”

Written for this week’s Thursday Photo Prompt challenge from Sue Vincent.

15 thoughts on “#writephoto — Sailors’ Delight

• Fandango November 16, 2017 / 2:00 pm

I can’t tell you how many times I had to answer…or try to answer…the dreaded “why” question when my kids where growing up.

1. James November 16, 2017 / 6:08 pm

“Old wife?” Answer that question at your peril.

• Fandango November 16, 2017 / 7:40 pm

Yes, there are certain questions that are best left unanswered.

2. Iain Kelly November 17, 2017 / 1:37 am

Kids ask so many questions! This reads like a genuine conversation, nicely observed.

3. Scott November 17, 2017 / 5:16 am

very funny. I like how you tell a good story. It makes me laugh out loud.

4. Michael November 17, 2017 / 12:43 pm

Nice side step I must say at the end….in my part of the world a red sunset usually means a stinking hot next day

• Fandango November 18, 2017 / 7:13 am

Don’t all kids tire out their parents at times? 🤪