Sunday Photo Fiction — Snapshots

“I don’t get it, Jack. You never go anywhere without your camera. Why would you put it up for auction on eBay?”

Jack looked at Stan. “First of all, it’s big and bulky,” he said. “The cameras on smartphones have gotten so much better over the past few years that I’m not sure it still makes sense to carry around a camera and a smartphone anymore.”

“But you’re such a great photographer, Jack,” Stan said. “Do you really think you can take photos on your phone that are as good as what you can take on your camera?”

“Probably not as good, but reasonably close,” Jack answered. “Besides, the phone is digital and my camera uses film. With digital, I don’t need to take the film in for developing, I can edit the images and add special effects on the fly, and I can instantly upload them to Instagram and Facebook.”

“Yeah, I guess that’s more convenient these days,” agreed Stan.

“Besides,” said Jack, “I’m not a professional photographer. I’m fine with just using my phone to take snapshots rather than using a large, heavy camera to take photographs.”

Stan sighed, “Yeah, welcome to the 21st century, I guess.”

(199 words)

Written for this week’s Sunday Photo Fiction prompt. Photo prompt: A Mixed Bag.

9 thoughts on “Sunday Photo Fiction — Snapshots

1. Marilyn Armstrong November 5, 2017 / 4:26 pm

Good lord, who uses a film camera? Where do you get film developed these days?

• Fandango November 5, 2017 / 5:19 pm

Walgreens or CVS.

• James November 6, 2017 / 7:55 am

Actually, there are specialty cameras and labs that use and develop film. I remember my daughter took a photography course at Uni and I gave her my old 35mm single-action reflex. She even learned how to develop the film. That said, almost all professional cameras these days are digital.

Oh, Stan and Jack, like Stan Lee and Jack Kirby?

• Fandango November 6, 2017 / 8:14 am

I didn’t have Stan Lee and Jack Kirby in mind when I wrote this, though I marvel at how you came up with that! 😜

2. Iain Kelly November 6, 2017 / 9:08 am

Hopefully there are enough practioneers who care that this won’t become another lost art.

3. Nis November 7, 2017 / 4:15 pm

I ended up selling my circa 1940 pentax, but i wish i hadn’t. There’s something nice about going on a holiday, and taking snapshots without worrying whether your batteries are going to die. Fully manual film-cameras are awesome.

• Fandango November 7, 2017 / 6:51 pm

My last film camera was an Olympus 35mm SLR and I loved it. It took great photos, but the convenience of having a “decent” camera in a pocket-sized device that is always with you is just too compelling. I think I still have that Olympus somewhere in my basement.

4. Sunday Fiction November 18, 2017 / 6:10 am

I’ve been contemplating selling my camera of late as well. Good story and so true at this time.

Comments are closed.