Friday Fictioneers — Pottery

“I like the one with the conch shell on top,” Harriet said, pointing. She started to reach out to grab it when the docent smacked her hand. “Look but don’t touch,” she chastised.

“But I want to see if I can hear the ocean if I put it up to my ear,” Harriet responded.

The docent smiled. “That’s a popular myth. You can’t really hear the ocean in a shell. That rushing sound you hear is ambient noise resonating within the cavity of the shell.”

Disappointed, Harriet looked at the other items on display. “Boring!” she exclaimed and walked away.

(100 words)

Written for this week’s Friday Fictioneers prompt from Rochelle Wisoff-Fields.

14 thoughts on “Friday Fictioneers — Pottery

1. baddadcartoons101 November 3, 2017 / 9:29 am

I always find your posts enjoyable and as simple as some of them appear, you never fail to make me stop and think beyond what you have written. Thank you for that 2-5 minutes a day I spend on your posts!

• Fandango November 3, 2017 / 10:18 am

Thanks you for your very kind words. And, I enjoy your drawings and your humor, even though it does, sometimes, cause me to groan out loud.

2. Marilyn Armstrong November 3, 2017 / 11:44 am

You know, you can get that same sound just cupping your hand around your air. I like that about my ears.

3. Archon's Den November 4, 2017 / 12:42 am

Lovely little story. She has an old-time name, but a modern Millennial’s entitlement and Smart-Phone worldly ennui. 🙂

• Fandango November 4, 2017 / 8:10 am

Thanks. Yes, I guess “Harriet” is a rather old-fashioned name!

4. James McEwan November 4, 2017 / 4:15 am

Nice story. The last time I listened to the ocean in a Conch shell, I nearly drowned. Never again!

• Fandango November 4, 2017 / 8:11 am

Better to listen to the ocean in a shell while standing on dry land! 😜

5. Sarah Ann November 6, 2017 / 11:02 am

Sometimes the truth ruining the mystery spoils the moment as well. The docent is a misery. 😦

6. pennygadd51 November 7, 2017 / 3:16 am

How not to educate a child! There were so many good responses the docent could have made to stimulate interest. Neat little tale you’ve given us!
    BTW thank you for introducing me to the word ‘docent’; not a word in common use in the UK.

• Fandango November 7, 2017 / 5:52 am

Thanks. Actually, “docent” is not that common of a word in the US, either. Most would refer to her as a tour guide or hostess. But back in the day my wife used to serve as a tour guide for historical homes in our town and she informed me that her official title was “docent.”