SoCS — Pumpkin Spice

A376B6E7-2974-4A79-B97F-15A84C61A5CE

When I saw that Linda G. Hill chose the word “season” as this week’s Stream of Consciousness Saturday prompt, I decided to write not about one — or all four — of the seasons of the year, but to write about a marketing phenomenon known as pumpkin spice season.

Apparently pumpkin spice season this year unofficially commenced on September 5th when Starbucks rolled out its beloved pumpkin spice latte, also referred to as “PSL.”

But pumpkin spice flavored items are no longer limited to lattes. There’s pumpkin spice chewing gum, pumpkin spice pretzels, pumpkin spice Cheerios, pumpkin spice Pringles, pumpkin spice ice cream. Some pizzerias are offering pumpkin spice pizzas! Yuck!

I read an article that even pumpkin spice marijuana is a thing. I don’t know if it tastes like pumpkin spice when you smoke it or if it just gives you cravings to eat or drink anything that has pumpkin spice flavoring.

But did you know that pumpkin spice has no pumpkin in it at all? Most recipes for pumpkin spice include cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger, and vanilla combined in such a way as to mimic the taste of pumpkin pie, which I don’t particularly care for.

Anyway, for those of you who are fans of pumpkin spice, in all of its now many iterations, enjoy the season. For me, I’ll stick with black coffee and Stephen Colbert’s Americone Dream ice cream from Ben & Jerry’s.

454E36AB-1198-4A08-97D5-D352310AD593

11 thoughts on “SoCS — Pumpkin Spice

1. newepicauthor October 20, 2017 / 11:36 pm

I have been seeing pumpkin spice everywhere and it has become a bit much. I might enjoy a pumpkin spice doughnut or pumpkin spice pancakes, but that is about it. That Americone Dream ice cream looks pretty good, I guess I will have to try that some day.

• Fandango October 21, 2017 / 6:25 am

Americone Dream is my favorite. Plus, Stephen Colbert donates all the profits to charity.

2. cagedunn October 20, 2017 / 11:52 pm

No, not even for the ice-cream. Pumpkin spice is what you put on the orange flesh, not … whatever they do with it …

• Fandango October 21, 2017 / 6:28 am

I agree. I’m not a pumpkin spice fan, nor am I a fan of men with orange skin and cotton candy hair.

3. John Holton October 21, 2017 / 9:52 am

I saw a demonstration on Facebook of making pumpkin-spice hot dogs, complete with a dollop of whipped cream on them. I’m with you, black coffee, no cream, sugar, or pumpkin spice. I can see pumpkin spice in donuts and Twinkies (mmm… Twinkies…), but coffee doesn’t need pumpkin spice, and pumpkin-spice hot dogs are just gross.

• Fandango October 21, 2017 / 11:36 am

I agree. And who puts whipped cream on a hot dog?

4. J-Dub October 21, 2017 / 10:57 am

PSL does not have anything real it in … or so “they” say. Black coffee is best to me too. Enjoyed this post.

5. Laura October 21, 2017 / 1:12 pm

I’m fascinated by the pumpkin spice trend. For some reason this flavor concept has never appealed to me, but it is just a little bit funny to watch the collective lose their minds when these seasonal specials come out.

• Fandango October 21, 2017 / 2:30 pm

It doesn’t appeal to me, either, but it is amazing how pumpkin spice flavoring seems to take over everything edible and drinkable at this time each year.