Friday Fictioneers — The Fortress

DFE22E21-E6EF-4B29-BA5C-2C94BFF770E4When Charlie saw the large county truck pull up to his house, he ran outside, planted himself in front of the large, old tree, and shouted, “No!”

The foreman of the crew addressed Charlie. “Look kid,” he said, “we’re just doing our job. This tree has to come down. Its branches hang over the street and it’s dangerous. Besides, this old tree’s seen better days.”

Tears welled in Charlie’s eyes. “This tree is my fortress, my castle. You can’t take it away from me.”

“It’s not me, kid, it’s the county,” the foreman said, signaling his crew to get started.

(100 words)

Written for this week’s Friday Fictioneers from Rochelle Wisoff-Fields. Photo by Sandra Cook.

14 thoughts on “Friday Fictioneers — The Fortress

1. Iain Kelly October 20, 2017 / 11:44 am

Aww, such a sad story, I felt for the little guy.

2. Christine Goodnough October 20, 2017 / 2:24 pm

One of the first of life’s hard lessons. Time brings change and you can’t hang on to precious people and things when it’s their time to go.

Hope he finds consolation in a young tree somewhere. Well told, Fandango.

3. Susan October 20, 2017 / 6:21 pm

Trees are important to children. There was one I played under when I was young.

4. granonine October 21, 2017 / 5:45 am

I think kids see trees as eternal. I was shocked the first time I saw a neighborhood tree being cut down because it was rotting and dangerous. So sad.

5. Varad October 22, 2017 / 12:47 pm

And the kid gets his first taste of ‘the system’. Hope he learns something from the episode.

• Fandango October 22, 2017 / 1:44 pm

Maybe he’ll grow up to be Secretary of the Interior.