Wit and Wisdom

1907F819-E056-4901-80DD-AF8D55E10FB6.jpegI like to think of myself as a witty person. I try to infuse humor into my posts and I attempt to keep things light in real-world conversations by injecting jokes, some of which induce chuckles, while others solicit groans. Or facepalms.

66A21074-63BD-4807-8585-81073939EA3FBut am I as witty as I think I am? Probably not.

I looked up the word “witty,” and, according to Dictionary.com, a witty person is “amusingly clever in perception and expression.”

I spend a lot of time inside my own head, which I find endlessly entertaining. But when it comes to expressing what I am thinking, whether in writing or in conversation, my wit is probably best described as, at best, mildly amusing. It is, is dry. And sometimes sarcastic. There’s nothing especially clever or uniquely amusing about it. That’s just the way it is.

So, to put it another way, my wit is not witty enough to make money off of it, so I’d better not quit my day job.

Wait, I’m retired. I already did quit my day job.

Written for today’s one-word prompt, “witty.”

11 thoughts on “Wit and Wisdom

1. baddadcartoons101 September 29, 2017 / 8:30 am

We all grow up listening to the same top 40 songs, watching the same tv show (whether that’s Barney, Rug Rats or in my day-Captain Kangaroo). Yet as adults we all have varied tastes in music, movies, books etc. but especially sense of humor. I find your wit to be very funny but I’m only one person

• Fandango September 29, 2017 / 8:47 am

Ah, Captain Kangaroo. Such a weird guy, right? And thanks, it’s good to know at least one person enjoys my attempts to be witty.

2. newepicauthor September 29, 2017 / 3:10 pm

Only Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood and Sesame Street lasted longer than Captain Kangaroo.

3. Michael September 29, 2017 / 5:20 pm

We are what we are good sir, those who know you and love the man you are, understand your limitations…lol….as for me I always think of myself as living in a fantasy world.

• Fandango September 29, 2017 / 10:40 pm

Fantasy worlds are the best kinds of worlds, especially in the age of Donald Trump.

4. Marilyn Armstrong September 30, 2017 / 5:18 pm

Ah, if only we could write the words we see in our heads! I see whole posts, but they get all tangled when I try to write them.