FFfAW — At My Age

3372E27C-89BF-4D45-9512-491B1FEEC9A1

Diane looked at her grandfather as he sat reading the newspaper across the breakfast table from her. “Pop-Pop,” she asked, “why do you always do that?”

“Do what?” She pointed to the coffee mug. “Oh, you mean balance my spectacles on the mug’s rim?”

“Yes.”

“If it annoys you that I do that, honey, I’ll stop.”

“No. I just think it’s a strange.”

He shrugged. “It’s not like anyone drinks from that mug,” he said. “It’s where we keep the sugar packets.”

“But why don’t you wear them over your eyes? Isn’t that what they’re for?”

“Three reasons,” he patiently replied. “First, my vision is such that it’s easier for me to read the paper without my glasses. Second, they have a slight tint, so the print is more crisp in the early morning light without them.”

“And third?”

“So when I’m done reading the paper, I’ll remember exactly where I put them. When you get to be my age, honey, you’ll understand.”

(163 words)

Written for this week’s Flash Fiction for Aspiring Writers from Priceless Joy. Photo prompt from Shivamt25.

15 thoughts on “FFfAW — At My Age

1. Michael September 26, 2017 / 4:57 pm

Lol….Oh I get that one though in my case if I don’t wear my glasses i can’t see anything, well much at any rate…..I like the third reason, makes great sense to me…

• Fandango September 26, 2017 / 6:22 pm

I was inspired by my wife, who asked me if I’d seen her glasses. “Yes,” I said, “they’re on your head just above your hairline.”

• Michael September 26, 2017 / 6:52 pm

My grandfather lost his once had the household searching until someone noticed them on his head.

2. Marilyn Armstrong September 26, 2017 / 8:39 pm

I also have to take my glasses off to read. They always go to wherever my hand will go next when i look for them. Always. Same place every time.

• Fandango September 26, 2017 / 8:59 pm

Me too. Like the character in my post…and like you, apparently…my glasses come off when I read the paper, a magazine, a book, and even my iPhone. Most of the time I can find them when I need them. Most of the time.

3. Sheena September 27, 2017 / 12:34 am

I like grandpa. Atleast he’s systematic. I wish my mom would do that then I wouldn’t be searching for her glasses, keys, phone…

4. Priceless Joy September 27, 2017 / 6:25 am

Hahahaha! He needs bifocals in his glasses! Cute story! When you get to a certain age it is even funnier. LOL!