To Boldly Go, Tentatively Speaking

boldly go

I hate when this happens. Just two days ago I wrote a post in which I used the word “tentative.” Well, actually the word I used was “tentatively,” but I think that word works better as as adverb than as an adjective anyway.

Then today, just two days later, WordPress comes out with a one-word prompt for the word — you guessed it — “tentative.”

For some strange reason, the word “tentative” made me think of the original Star Trek TV show. Let me explain.

Tentative means unsure; uncertain; not definite or positive; hesitant. The antithesis of tentative is bold. Bold means not hesitating or fearful in the face of actual or possible danger or rebuff; courageous and daring

You remember the introduction from the beginning of Star Trek, right? It ends with the line, “To boldly go where no man has gone before.”

Well, can you imagine if, instead of “To boldly go where no man has gone before” the line read “To tentatively go where no man has gone before”?

One small word could have changed the future course of human events!

10 thoughts on “To Boldly Go, Tentatively Speaking

1. Marilyn Armstrong September 19, 2017 / 9:47 am

We have watch original ST, Next Gen, Enterprise, got bored with Deep Space, and have moved on to Voyager where frankly, tentative is pretty much their middle name. The utter confusion that goes on in the ship each time they meed a new “humanish” character is hilarious (sometimes) and tedious the rest of the time. So we watch it as the “something to do between other more interesting shows.” Captain Janeway needs to stop fluttering about the ship and worrying about Starfleet rules. Ho hum.

• Fandango September 19, 2017 / 12:27 pm

To be honest, I haven’t watched any of the Star Trek spinoffs. Just the original one with William Shatner and Leonard Nemoy.

2. Covert Novelist September 19, 2017 / 12:52 pm

I know, right? I so agree with Marilyn’s assessment. I liked “Boldly go” and they weren’t tentative in their assessment and reaction to any given situation. Having said that, it parallel’s what’s taken place in the “grand scheme” of humanity. However I would add that the world has become apathetic and uncaring having passed over being tentative.

• Fandango September 19, 2017 / 2:01 pm

I’d say apathetic and ignorant, more than uncaring. Although, with what the Republicans in Congress are once again trying to do to take away healthcare coverage for millions of Americans, uncaring may be THE operative word.

3. Emilio Pasquale September 19, 2017 / 1:06 pm

Quite the bold statement.

• Fandango September 19, 2017 / 2:01 pm

Right. Nothing tentative about it!

4. Michael September 19, 2017 / 5:27 pm

Just think what it might mean to blogging if we went tentatively through our blog existence instead of boldly as I’d like to think we do….good post good sir and I can’t remember if I’ve seen any spin offs either…did at one time watch a lot of Babylon 5 and that was interesting for a while until for reasons best known to them they wrote the Vorlons out of the series.