Have You Seen My Aura?

IMG_2611

I’ve been experiencing a very peculiar aura recently.

No, it’s not one of those magical, mystical, spiritual auras that surround the bodies living beings and supposedly shows the essence of the individual, and which essence is discernible only by people with “special sensibilities.”

Nor is it a distinctive atmosphere or quality that seems to surround and be generated by a person, thing, or place.

The aura I’m talking about is when squiggly, vibrating, and sometimes colorful lines appear around the edges of one or both of my eyes.

These auras are flashes or flickering lights that are manifested by either zigzag lines or waves.

Naturally, I Googled “visual auras,” where I learned that these visual auras are a common symptom of something referred to as a “migraine without headache.”

One site noted that “A migraine that involves visual disturbance is called an ocular migraine.” During an ocular migraine, according to the description, “you may see flashing or shimmering lights, zigzagging lines, or stars. Some people describe seeing psychedelic images. It may also cause blind spots in your field of vision.”

Psychedelic images? Not like any psychedelic images I remember from my acid-dropping days.

According to WebMD, visual auras are rare. They affect about one out of every 200 people who have migraines.

Migraines? I’ve never suffered from migraines in my entire life.

My wife does, though. When my visual auras come along, she suggests that I take a couple of Advil and go lie down in a darkened room for an hour or so. And that seems to work. When I’m done with my mini-nap, my aura is gone.

Peculiar, huh?

12 thoughts on “Have You Seen My Aura?

1. Marilyn Armstrong September 10, 2017 / 9:35 am

My doctor calls it a “silent migraine.” You get the advance symptoms, but skip the headache. I am FINE with missing the headache. I’ve been getting migraines, with or without the flashing, since I was a teenager.

Sometimes it’s not flashing — more like you’re looking through a crinkled piece of cellophane. Both are the same thing, though. I had a friend who used to go completely blind. That is called “advanced migraine.”

• Fandango September 10, 2017 / 9:46 am

Yes, I am fine without the headaches, although rose visual auras are a bit disconcerting

2. Suze September 10, 2017 / 9:39 am

they are also a sign that you may be developing cataracts. Go get a checkup

3. baddadcartoons101 September 10, 2017 / 6:13 pm

Probably because you looked at the eclipse without special glasses, oh.. that was Trump, never mind!

4. Frank Hubeny September 10, 2017 / 6:28 pm

I don’t get those migrane auras, but I do get “floaters” in my eyes. Also you don’t have to have special abilities to see those other auras. Put your hand with spread fingers against a white surface and look at the edges for a few seconds or until you see a haze around your fingers. That would be the aura (unless I’ve got it all wrong). It is easy to see also by looking at yourself in the bathroom mirror if the wall behind you is light colored. You can even see colors if you pay enough attention to them.

• Fandango September 10, 2017 / 7:58 pm

I must not be an aura-seeing person. Tried both of your suggested techniques for seeing auras and didn’t see any. Oh well.

• Frank Hubeny September 11, 2017 / 4:23 am

Try again. The hand is the easiest. Make sure the hand is not touching the wall and the shadow is not in the way. Look at the background behind the fingers, not directly at the fingers. I remember when someone showed me how to do it I used the bathroom. At first I didn’t see anything either. It is like seeing those hidden words in those apparently randomly colored pictures. I had to cross my eyes to finally make see them, but once I didn’t it was easy to see them. In this case you don’t have to cross your eyes, but it is not something you expect to look at because your body (eye-brain) wants to see sharp boundaries. I am not sure what causes the phenomenon but what we see is visible electromagnetic rays. I don’t think it is anything mysterious, just unexpected.

5. Kijo September 11, 2017 / 6:23 am

Hey, I’ve gotten these a couple of times. And I’m also close with migraine sufferers. Maybe we’re suffering in sympathy for loved ones.

Once I realized I wasn’t losing my mind, or vision, it was awesome: like lightening in your eyes. Disruptive, but phenomenal.

• Fandango September 11, 2017 / 7:41 am

I’m not sure I’d describe these auras as “phenomenal,” but when they do happen, they offer a great excuse for taking a short nap.