One Hump or Two?

img_2609

Fellow bigger, Jim Adams, wrote an informative post earlier today about dromedaries. In that post he pointed out the dromedaries can be distinguished from camels based upon the number of humps on their backs. Dromedaries, Jim explained, have one hump on their backs, while Camels have two. He even provided a neat little trick in his post for remembering the difference.

I knew that some camels have one hump and others have two, but I didn’t know they had different names. So, once again, I learned something new at Jim’s blog.

While this is fascinating stuff, at least to me, it’s not what my post is about. It’s actually about how I was duped by a cigarette maker.

When I was a young man, I started smoking cigarettes. It was the thing to do at the time. We didn’t know how bad cigarettes were for our health. All we knew was that smoking cigarettes made you look cool.

Not only did I start smoking cigarettes, I smoked Camel cigarettes, not those wimpy filter-tipped cigarettes. Oh no, I smoked Camels because real men, like me and John Wayne, didn’t need filters on our cigarettes.

We tough guys loved having little bits of tobacco sticking onto our lips and tongues as we dragged on our fags. (Just so you know, back in the day, cigarettes were also known as “fags.” Today, dragging on a fag has a totally different connotation.)

So how was I duped, aside from thinking smoking cigarettes was cool? Well, look at the picture of a pack of Camels at the top of this post. How many humps? Just one, right?

But with one hump, the animal on that pack is a dromedary, not a camel. This is a camel:

img_2610

See? Two humps! What ever happened to truth in packaging?

But seriously folks, would smoking a Dromedary cigarette have had the same cachet as smoking a Camel? No way!

And, as Jim pointed out when responding to my comment on his post, “nobody would walk a mile for a Dromedary.”

8 thoughts on “One Hump or Two?

1. newepicauthor September 9, 2017 / 2:05 pm

Perhaps I did not explain this clearly enough, as the Dromedary is a one humped camel and the Bactrian camel has two humps.

• Fandango September 9, 2017 / 2:07 pm

Yes, I know. So I took some literary license when writing my post. Sue me! 😜

• Fandango September 9, 2017 / 2:12 pm

Thanks. If you haven’t already, Scott, you should follow the link to Jim’s post. His is the post that is really interesting.

2. newepicauthor September 9, 2017 / 2:16 pm

An old joke used to be, ‘If you had to spend the night in the desert shown on the pack of Camels, would you go by the oasis palm trees, or by the Pyramids or maybe stay under the Camel?’ The not so funny anymore answer is to go around the back of the cigarette pack and
    stay in the hotel.

3. Marilyn Armstrong September 9, 2017 / 5:09 pm

They will always be camels to me. They all smell the same. It’s probably harder to saddle a dromedary. Where do you put the saddle?

• Fandango September 9, 2017 / 5:49 pm

Good question. I’ll look it up.