Whatever Floats Your Boat

IMG_2601

“It sort of reminds me of a sphinx,” Dora said looking up at the cloud partially blocking the setting sun.

“To me it looks like a merry-go-round horse,” Alicia replied.

“Yeah, I can see that,” Dora said. Then wistfully, she said, “I don’t see how anyone can’t believe in God when they see something like this.”

“I don’t,” Alicia said in a matter of fact way.

Dora looked at Alicia with an expression of disbelief. “How can you look at that sky and tell me you don’t see God’s hand? The evidence of God is all around us.”

“I hear that all the time from people who believe in God,” Alicia said. “Evidence that God exists is everywhere you look, they tell me. Well, if that’s the case, why can’t I see it?

“Your walling yourself off from seeing such evidence,” Dora said. “It makes you blind to ‘The Truth’ of God’s existence.”

“I’m not walling myself off,” Alicia said. “If any definitive evidence were presented to me, I would be thrilled to change my mind about the existence of God.”

“But if God does not exist,” Dora said, “life is ultimately meaningless. If life ends in death, then it does not matter how you live.”

“You really believe that?” asked Alicia.

“I do,” said Dora. “If God does not exist, what is the point? Without God there is ultimately no hope for deliverance from the shortcomings of our finite existence.”

Alicia sighed. She looked back toward the slowly setting sun and the ever shifting shapes of the clouds. “Whatever floats your boat, Dora.”

Written for Sue Vincent’s Thursday Photo Prompt

19 thoughts on “Whatever Floats Your Boat

1. Sue Vincent September 8, 2017 / 4:31 am

Whatever your perspective, it seems that existence offers proof of it. We see through our own peculiar lens.

2. baddadcartoons101 September 8, 2017 / 4:54 am

Freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom to carry guns… the constitution should have just said, “whatever floats your boat”. Good post

• Fandango September 8, 2017 / 6:11 am

Thanks. Yeah, the Founding Fathers should have thought about using that phrase instead of all those damn amendments.

3. Marilyn Armstrong September 8, 2017 / 10:11 am

I always wonder why we need a “God” for meaning in our lives. Aren’t we born knowing good and evil? I suppose a lot of people DO think that way.

• Fandango September 8, 2017 / 10:55 am

Yes they do. I can’t tell you how many people have told me that you can’t be a moral person if you don’t believe that God exists.

4. Michael September 8, 2017 / 1:54 pm

It’s an age old dilemma, isn’t it? It’s why the word faith was invented. Good post a topic for discussion.

• Fandango September 8, 2017 / 5:09 pm

Truth in the case of faith and beliefs is mostly what you want it to be. I think both Dora and Alicia are true to their individual beliefs.

5. newepicauthor September 10, 2017 / 7:26 am

Interesting question! Is God the creator and sustainer of the universe and is God perfect having unlimited knowledge and power.

6. memadtwo September 11, 2017 / 7:32 am

I think it’s a pretty barren life that has no meaning without a God. Life in itself has more than enough wonder and mystery.

• Fandango September 11, 2017 / 7:44 am

I agree. Life is, indeed, full of wonder and mystery and it doesn’t require belief in a god to appreciate that.

7. Pamela Morse September 14, 2017 / 8:41 am

This is reminiscent of Epicurious…I love it.