Friday Fictioneers — Tumbleweed

img_2599.jpg

“Hey, man, are you okay?”

“Nothing’s broken on me, but my front rim is bent to hell,” Tom replied, getting up and dusting himself off. “I told you it was getting too dark for us to be riding our bikes.

“What happened?” Eddie asked. “You were hauling ass and the next thing I know, you took a spill and were sprawled out on the ground.”

“Everything was cool until I saw what I thought was tumbleweed blowing across the path.”

“Tumbleweed caused you to fall?”

“Not unless tumbleweed has eyes, ears, and legs,” Tom said. “It was a goddam jackrabbit.”

(100 words)

Written for this week’s Friday Fictioneers from Rochelle Wisoff-Fields. Photo credit: Danny Bowman.

17 thoughts on “Friday Fictioneers — Tumbleweed

1. Sightsnbytes September 7, 2017 / 7:37 am

same thing happens here in Newfoundland, except it isn’t a jackrabbit, it is a 1500 Lb Moose! Great story

• Fandango September 7, 2017 / 9:38 am

Thanks. One would never, I suspect, mistake a large moose for some tumbleweed.

• Fandango September 7, 2017 / 9:44 am

And with my eyes, it’s not just at dusk!

2. baddadcartoons101 September 7, 2017 / 11:45 am

It may have been a jackalope, they have a nasty habit of running out in front of you when least expected!

3. Jelli September 7, 2017 / 12:58 pm

That’s almost funny. Reminds me of late night rides to/fro work when I was younger. It was fifteen miles through the countryside, and ohhh, the animals to see.

4. Varad September 8, 2017 / 12:02 pm

Think Tom might have perused weed a wee bit more!

• Fandango September 8, 2017 / 1:14 pm

Very possible. Perhaps even likely!

5. Life Lessons of a Dog Lover September 8, 2017 / 3:42 pm

This was really nicely written, you took me right into their world.