SoCS — Nothing is Certain

IMG_2582

You’ve heard that old saying, “In this world, nothing can be said to be certain except birth, death, and taxes.” I believe it was Benjamin Franklin who said that, but I’m not 100% positive. So I’m going to Google it to be sure. Be right back.

……

Okay, I’m back. Turns out I was right about who said it, but wrong about what he said. What Ben actually said was, “In this world, nothing can be said to be certain except death and taxes.”

I misremembered what Franklin said. The word “birth” was not in his quote. He only said “death” and “taxes.”

Well, that really screws up my response to this week’s Stream of Consciousness Saturday prompt, which was to write a post using the word “birth.”

But wait. Leaving out “birth” doesn’t make any sense to me. You can’t pay taxes or die if you were never born, right? You need to exist in order to pay taxes. You need to exist in order to cease to exist. Hence, you need to have been born in order to deal with the certainties of death and taxes. You get my point, right?

Oh well. He’s Ben Franklin. He’s one of our Founding Fathers. So even though he missed “birth” as one of life’s certainties, I suppose we need to give him a wide berth.

Written for today’s Stream of Consciousness Saturday prompt from Linda G. Hill. We are supposed to write a prompt using the words “birth” and/or “berth.”

13 thoughts on “SoCS — Nothing is Certain

1. JoAnna September 2, 2017 / 7:07 am

Nice save! One of my favorite quotes is, “When nothing is certain, anything is possible.” But I’m not certain who said it.

• JoAnna September 2, 2017 / 9:49 am

Thank you! I thought it was a guy who wrote a book about miracles. He must have been quoting her.

2. Sight11 September 2, 2017 / 7:18 am

There is stillbirth, so birth is not a certainty, Sensei.. Hold on.. their is termination of pregnancy also, Hmm.. look like its a birth of a debate..

3. Fandango September 2, 2017 / 8:47 am

The assumption is that “in this world” means that one has been born. A stillbirth or a terminated pregnancy will not result in someone coming into this world. Thus, if not born into this world, death and taxes are not only not a certainty, but not a possibility. The prosecution rests.

• Sight11 September 2, 2017 / 12:44 pm

Sensei, the idea of existence with the idea existing are two different scenarios. Since the womb is present in this world, (but typically not entered it) one can assume that it is still existing in the world. So in this world, as the old Ben would say ‘death’ is a certainity even for those who are on the borderline. I too rest my case.

• Fandango September 2, 2017 / 1:29 pm

Ah, there’s the rub. I believe that a person isn’t a person (and, therefore, doesn’t “exist” as a person) until it is born. You must believe that a person is a person at the time of conception, and thus exists in this world even before birth. Our positions in this regard are irreconcilable.

• Fandango September 2, 2017 / 9:40 am

I thought clones were manufactured. Oh wait, that’s drones. Sorry about that.

4. bikerchick57 September 2, 2017 / 12:40 pm

If Mr. Franklin was alive, I think he’d see your point. Nice response to the prompt!