Just Say the Word

Image result for eyes welling up

“You can’t say it, can you?”

“Say what?” he asked, innocently.

“The word,” she said. “The word that describes how you claim to feel about me.” Her eyes started to well up with tears.

“Of course I can say it,” he said. “I’m totally enamored with you.”

“Enamored?”

“Yes, I’m completely smitten.”

“Seriously? You’re smitten?”

“Yes. I idolize you. I adore you. I worship you. You are my everything.”

More tears rolled down her cheeks. “Then why can’t you just say it?”

He was confused. “What more do you need me to say?” he asked.

She shook her head back and forth. “I need to hear you tell me that you love me.”

He chuckled. “Love is just another four letter word.”

“If you can’t say the word ‘love’ to me, then I have a seven letter word for you,” she said.

“What’s that?” he asked.

“Goodbye.”

Written for today’s one-word prompt, “enamored.”

10 thoughts on “Just Say the Word

1. thewaasblog August 30, 2017 / 9:13 am

I don’t know if this was meant to be humorous, but I couldn’t stop laughing when he said “I’m totally enamored with you” lol!! I loved this post! Thanks for sharing : )

P.S. Please check out my blog if you get the chance! I’m sure you’ll love it lol. –> https://thewaasblog.com/

Thanks again : ) ~ From: Thomas

• Fandango August 30, 2017 / 9:18 am

It was intended to be humorous, although in a kind of sad way for those of us who have trouble expressing their emotions verbally.

Thanks for reading. I will check out your blog.

2. Scott August 30, 2017 / 9:37 am

Your sense of humor is outlandish, incredible and superb. Thanks for brightening my day.

• Moira August 30, 2017 / 10:14 am

Love is not the word, it is the action. At least that is my perspective. Still, when it is said unsolicited it is amazing.

• Fandango August 30, 2017 / 10:46 am

I agree, but as my mother used to say to me when I was barely old enough to talk, “Use your words!”

• Moira August 31, 2017 / 4:38 am

The key word I wrote was unsolicited. Mere words don’t make it true, actions do. I discovered this when I realized, as a teenager, that my father had never said I love you to me, but that he did it everyday or more. I appreciated everything my father did, as to me his actions are what said ‘I love you’ to me. Maybe I am a strange woman. Anyway, the need of the woman in your story is hers and comes from her, and him saying the words would not have made them true from him, it would have been an appeasement to her, not a true “I love you” from him. I guess I see it as her insecurity. Enamored and idolize, the way I think the man was saying them, are almost the same as I love you. I do understand her need to hear those words though.

3. newepicauthor August 30, 2017 / 2:30 pm

Men often struggle with love and intimacy and we have trouble saying, “I love you”, because it seems more like something that a woman would say than a man and we don’t want to sound desperate.

4. Marilyn Armstrong August 30, 2017 / 3:16 pm

That so … guy. It may be a four-letter word, but they have a hell of time getting it out from between their clenched teeth!