Man Purses or “Murses”

IMG_2523Last week I wrote a post called Manscaping, which discussed male grooming habits. Becoming hairless is apparently quite the fashion trend in the U.S. these days. I don’t know if this is actually true, but I heard from a reliable source (Jimmy Kimmel) that 76% of American adults have removed most of their body hair below the neck. I’m one of the 24% who does not. And I happen to have a significant volume of body hair below my neck.

Anyway, a blogger, “Busy Mom,” commented on that post, I would love to hear your thoughts on the “murse” or should I say, “man purse.” I told Busy Mom that I’m not a fan of man purses and that I would gladly pick up the gauntlet she threw down.

And so I started crafting a post explaining why I don’t like man purses. Or, for that matter, fanny packs. But I was having trouble getting things rolling. I was struggling to find the right words to describe what it is that I don’t like about man purses.

And that’s when it occurred to me that no one really cares whether I am or am not a fan of the “murse.” It’s just a personal opinion, an individual preference. I don’t possess any special knowledge or insights beyond knowing what I like and what I don’t like.

Besides, I am a “live and let live” kind of a guy. You do your thing and I’ll do mine. As long as you’re not hurting yourself or anyone around you, or are attempting to impose your will upon others, I’m fine. So if you’re the kind of man who is comfortable wearing a man purse, hey, whatever floats your boat, right?

Furthermore, I’m not an expert in men’s fashion accessories. Not even close. In fact, given my preference for comfort over style, I may be the least qualified person to discuss that topic. Hell, if I could, I’d wear my soft, comfy pajamas 24/7.

So with these caveats noted, I have decided to not proceed with writing a post explaining that men who carry man purses look pompous and prissy or that men who wear fanny packs, particularly in front — where they should be called “belly packs” — look ridiculous.

IMG_2521

16 thoughts on “Man Purses or “Murses”

1. Marilyn Armstrong August 18, 2017 / 12:59 pm

Ridiculous or not, men have been carrying SOMETHING for a long time. First they were officially “brief cases,” they they became “backpacks” and no they are just bags. Into which you can put all the stuff life requires you to have … including cell phones and cameras and combs and wallets and water and when you get old, your meds, inhalers, and the thousands of cards every shopping place thinks you need to get their “discounts.” It doesn’t look LESS ridiculous to walk around with your pockets bulging and overflowing.

This is a simple one for me: Buy something you think seems manly — and get over it. There’s a lot of stuff in life.

• Fandango August 18, 2017 / 3:52 pm

I used to carry a ballistic nylon computer bag when I was still working, but I never counted that as a man purse. It was a replacement for a traditional, hard-sided leather briefcase. Other than that, though, my motto was “just say no” to man purses (and fanny packs).

2. adventuresofabusymomcom August 18, 2017 / 1:54 pm

Thanks for humoring me with this post! Marilyn ^^^ brings up a good point in that bulging pockets don’t look any better! This gives me a new perspective and leaves me wondering…”why is there such a stigma about murses?” They DO seem to be pretty practical! Maybe there will be one under the Christmas tree this year for my hubby…Then, I can leave mine at home and let him carry our crap! Hehe 😂

3. Emilio Pasquale August 18, 2017 / 2:32 pm

My wife likes when I carry her purse. She says it makes me look domesticated. I’m not sure I like that, but I like my wife. So if it keeps her happy….

4. Michael August 18, 2017 / 2:34 pm

When I went travelling my local bag shop showed me a sort of ‘murse’ that proved to be the best thing I ever purchased. It is a small bag that hangs around my neck, sits on my hip and can hold everything from ipad to passport and things inbetween. It also came with the weird technology that says your credit cards are protected from airporrt scammers. So I carried it all around Europe, found it comfortable to wear and never once was it the source of any comment apart from that’s a lovely accessory you have…lol (made that last bit up)….but it did give me a sense of of own security…..so that’s my opinion…

5. cagedunn August 18, 2017 / 2:49 pm

The fanny pack thing – in Australia, the fanny is in front, so …
    And as an aside, the blokes I know who carry bags do it with military gear bags (and heavy); they say preparedness (you know, the 7 pees: prior planning and preparation, etc.).

• Fandango August 18, 2017 / 4:17 pm

Wait. Australian men’s fannies are in front? I knew Australia is down under, but I didn’t know body parts were backwards.

• cagedunn August 18, 2017 / 4:18 pm

The fanny’s in front, the arse is behind … oh, what did I say?

• cagedunn August 18, 2017 / 4:22 pm

Yes, I know; it’s quite funny to hear the words spoken in Australia though, and everyone turns and looks … Oh, he’s one of them, they say, and turn back to their way. Same word, different world.

6. newepicauthor August 19, 2017 / 7:13 am

When I was in Europe, I picked up a coin purse, because they have so many coins there. I still use it when I work in the schools, as I never know when I will get thirsty and need a drink, so I fill it with quarters.