Both Sides Now

IMG_2517

“Look at the one on the right. It looks like a flag about to unfurl,” said Jenny, pointing toward the sky. She and her best friend Liz were taking a much needed break from their hike through the scenic, rocky terrain.

“It reminds me of that whirling Tasmanian devil cartoon character,” said Liz. “The one to its left looks like a firework after it exploded and the breeze has picked up the residual and is starting to blow it away.”

Staring at these clouds brings to mind that old Joni Mitchell song,” said Jenny. “Damn, I can’t think of the name of that song.”

“It’s ‘Both Sides Now’ I think,” Liz responded.

“Oh right,” Jenny said. The lyrics talk about looking at clouds.

Liz said, “Yes, I know.” She then softly sang some of the lyrics from the song.

Rows and flows of angel hair
And ice cream castles in the air
And feather canyons everywhere
I’ve looked at clouds that way

I’ve looked at clouds from both sides now
From up and down and still somehow
It’s cloud’s illusions I recall
I really don’t know clouds at all

“That’s beautiful,” said.

Both women sat in silence for a while, marveling at the ever-changing, wispy cloud formations as they traversed the skyscape.

Written for today’s one-word prompt, “unfurl,” and for this week’s writing challenge from Sue Vincent for #writephoto. It’s a twofer!

And, as a bonus, here’s Joni’s song.

20 thoughts on “Both Sides Now

1. D. A. M. Steelman August 17, 2017 / 9:17 am

I love looking at clouds and pretending they’re the shape of something and then they morph into something different. Thanks for posting Joni! Love her voice and ideas.

• Fandango August 17, 2017 / 9:41 am

We used to do that with our kids when they were young. But now they’re all grown up and no longer have their heads in the clouds.

• rugby843 August 17, 2017 / 9:35 am

The interesting thing is she wrote it but Judy Collins was the first to record it. I only know this because my husband saw Judy C with his college friends when it first came out. Btw, they were certainly not impressed with Judy. She was dirty, foul mouthed and slightly drunk on something. Quite the normal concert in those days maybe?

• Fandango August 17, 2017 / 9:39 am

I will admit to never having heard the Judy Collins version. But I am a big fan of Joni Mitchell and have most of her recorded songs on my iTunes playlist.

• rugby843 August 17, 2017 / 9:41 am

I really love the way she puts words together and she has a unique voice. The melodies are also unusually haunting. I’m a fan, can you tell?😂

2. newepicauthor August 17, 2017 / 2:50 pm

In High School we studied this song when we were covering poetry, My English Teacher was a hippie.

• Fandango August 17, 2017 / 3:13 pm

It is very poetic. Another example of the poetry behind popular songs.

3. Michael August 17, 2017 / 10:52 pm

Clouds can be like that, take you back to days when songs were there to be enjoyed and mused upon….when people wrote poetry that the average person could relate to and added some music to enhance it all…..even Dylan tried his hand at it….

4. Yentl August 23, 2017 / 2:59 pm

Very creative “twofer”! I love the song, too:) Joni has a beautiful voice.

5. Mahesh Nair August 24, 2017 / 9:51 am

Interesting take 🙂 Vivid images. Love the talk between the two characters. “…flag about to unfurl…’ – “…Tasmanian devil cartoon character…” Nice 🙂